Topic

Solo 4-season, sub-alpine bivy/floorless shelter combo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solo 4-season, sub-alpine bivy/floorless shelter combo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Getting a bit fed up with tents right now… call me when a lightweight bathtub floor is more than 3 inches before mesh takes over the walls. My experience is that these tent styles just plain don't work on soft ground in the sustained rains I seem to encounter nearly every night when backpacking — regardless of site selection and awning protection. Pooling water on a floored shelter does me no good when my next layer of protection is a permeable sleeping bag. Anyway, that's another rant for another day and an unfortunate consequence of my backpacking region.

With that out of the way, I would like to announce that I plan on switching to bivy sleeping in the near future. My shelter selection looks to be a floorless 'mid to hold up to sub-alpine snow in the winter, and to be able to provide protection above treeline for 3-season use.

The MLD DuoMid intrigues me right now, but I'm not sure how well it would stand up in strong winds above treeline during 3-season use. Can any 'mid users comment on this? I would likely order the sinylon version, since Cuben is out of my price range, and I'm not completely sold on Spinnaker — $80 extra for a mere 3oz saving doesn't help either.

For the bivy, I'm torn between the MLD Ultralight and the TG Ptarmigan. I would request a custom, side-zip Ptarmigan if I ordered one; but I have no idea what the weight penalty would be. The TG bivy options seem like they can be much more airy for summer use (it's unlikely that you'd find me sleeping on bare ground without full bug protection — even in the summer).

Above is what I am currently considering, so, of course, other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I currently use a 17oz tent, so I'm hoping to find a bivy/shelter combo under 23 oz (I can make up the 6 oz difference with a lighter WM bag in the future). I'm also 6'1", ~160lbs, and my primary backpacking trips are currently 4-season, 3,000-6,000 ft elevation hikes in the Southeast.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Hi Craig,
    One thing you might want to keep in mind is the added warmth of a bivy and mid combo, thinking if you try this during the summer months you will probably find this a little too warm.

If switching to a bivy would suggest a tarp and bivy combo for three season then possibly using a mid/bivy combo once things start to cool down.

With what you mentioned it might be wise to consider a 8×10 flat tarp which can be also set up as a half pyramid which is perfectly sized for one person. Learning tarp configuration could save you money on the investment of a mid.

Found out on this end once you switch from a tent to bivy & tarp combo, your probably not going back, YMMV on that one

Best of luck with this one
    Jim

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Craig, I've been going over the exact same bivy thoughts. I currently use a Montbell Dry-Tech Breeze Bivy that I really like but found on my last trip that it was too hot. I was expecting cooler nights and it got down to only 45 degrees so I slept on top.

So I wanted a bivy that had a bit more space. Since TG changed from the purple bivy to now black I was considering them. My other consideration was MLD Superlight. Since the TG did not have a side zip and MLD superlight is a side zip I went with the MLD bivy. I ordered it a week ago. I didnt realize you could custom order the TG with a side zip or it would have been a tougher choice.

Regardless I eagerly await my MLD bivy as I am planning a trip in a few weeks.

Jamie

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Craig, I've gotta go along with Jim's comments about flat tarps. I've been using them for years in the NC mountains, as well as the Rockies and S. Utah/ N. Arizona. In pretty much all seasons, except above treeline in snow. I find a flat tarp much more versatile, especially for the variable conditions we get in the Southeast.

The tarp I'm using right now is a Granite Gear White Lightning 8×10. There are certainly lighter options; I really like the Oware tarps alot, and the MLD Supertarp looks really functional too. The side pullouts both of these companies incorporate really expand the possible pitch options, including some really solid storm pitches. There's a great diagram and pictures of a storm pitch on the oware website, and you should check out the advanced tarping techniques articles on BPL.

We have a pretty good contingent of Southeast members here; we need to organize a trip this winter. Maybe something like Roan Mountain or The Smokies? The Big Creek drainage is awesome in winter, though it can get pretty frosty up on Mt. Sterling!

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Craig,
    I currently use a Golite Shangri-La 3 and a TiGoat Ptarmigan bivy for above tree line hiking, three seasons in the Pyrenees. I usually camp up at 2500 meters, maybe 8000 feet (don't know the conversion).
    I've found the combination to be bomber, and I've been hit by some serious storms this summer, despite the forecast. Going solo, it's nice to have the confidence to ride out a storm in this set up.
    My SRL3 comes to 24 ounces, and the bivy, 5.5 ounces, minus pegs.
    When I hike lower, and sometimes when I'm above tree line, I have been using my new SMD Serentity bug net- 7 ounces. I get a few degrees of warmth with this set up over the bivy.
    I always set up either on top of my poncho tarp, which protects me from wet ground underneath where I sleep and my other gear in the shelter.
    These combinations are a bit heavier than your goal of 23 ounces for shelter/ bivy combo, but weight isn't everything, sometimes. Safety, comfort and knowing your level of experience count too.
    I use a Rab Top bag and sleep in Icebreaker wool, and in shoulder season, carry a MLD 2 Thirds XP quilt. Top Bag weighs 16 ounces and quilt 8. This has kept me warm to 30 degrees.
    I found combinations of all this gear tailored to widely varying mountain conditions, really works for me.
    I wouldn't use a flat tarp above tree line in the mountain conditions I walk in because I don't have that much experience with them, but I'm thinking about it as I gain confidence. You have to know your level here.
    I hope this helps.
    fred

Troy Meadows
    BPL Member

@lightworker

Locale: Sierra foothills

Scott
    Lets do it you can count me in for sure. How about sometime in Feb when its brutal cold?

Oh yah Bivies and tarps rock. I'm a recent convert and will never go back. Unless the old lady and the dogs comes with then it's a Rainshadow2 or hex3 with floor depending on season

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Thanks all. I've considered a tarp, but I've been skeptical of their protection even in storm mode. I guess I will have to take a harder look at them since I have ample time to research my selections. I've never considered exactly how large 10*8 is.

As for a Southeast trip — consider me in if the trip is a short, weekend trip. I made my first trip to the Big Creek area last September, and it was great. A burly winter trip sounds great, and it's likely all the horsies would be off the trails in the winter. Is anyone considering a Mitchell summit this winter? It's something I would like to try one year, but not a trip I would like to take solo since I have little experience in the conditions Mitchell is subject to in the winter.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I would possibly do a trip too how about MLK weekend I will be off monday. Slickrock creek wilderness would be great that time of year too.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I could be in too depending on location.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

I would definitely be down for Mitchell, it's really close to my house! Not really sure about access in the winter; I know the summit area is closed, I don't know about the lower trailheads. You guys know how that goes around here: the trailhead is at the end of a 10 mile FS access road with a gate at the beginning of the road. I'll do a little research, I know some of the NC Parks staff at So. Mountain, they may know of some easy (read: NOT MUDDY!) winter access points.

Slickrock would be incredible as well. It's been awhile since I've been out there, but I remember the trails; it seemed like everything went straight up with no switchbacks! I think it was Slickrock Creek? trail, one of the toughest I've ever ascended, but WELL WORTH the effort! I can't imagine how beautiful the "Miracle Mile" would be with a blanket of snow!

Sorry for the hijack Craig, I'm just getting really excited about this winter! May it be a long, cold, wet winter for all of us in Dixie!

Alvie Morton
    BPL Member

@rootball

Locale: Gatlinburg

I use the Sierra Designs pyramid tent. I'm really likin' it. And the savings were substantial. I bought mine when the pole was optional and paid about 130 for it. I have various different homemade bivies. One of my bivies is just like a TG bivy except that it has a pu coated floor and weighs 12 ounces. For me it is a really good set up in the fourth season – East Tennessee.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Scott, no worries on the hijack! It seems like we could all benefit much more from your idea than anything I could personally benefit from regarding my original question.

For more visibility, I created a meetup thread in the Trip Announcements forum here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16548

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools