Topic

Going solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Going solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think being obsessed with hiking, particularly ultralight hiking, has had an overall negative impact on my ability to appropriately interact with other human beings.

So here's my question: How have habits or perspectives that you've picked up by being an "ultralighter" made you most socially awkward?

I'll start:

1. Around my wife or friends, I'm always checking out the nutritional values on food packages, then raving when I find one that has a "totally awesome" calorie to weight ratio.

2. Around those same people or worse, strangers, I may at any time grab a piece of their clothing and ask them, with all seriousness "Do you know how many ounces per yard this is? No? What denier then? How does it breath?"

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

You know I have never experienced anything like you've mentioned. Hell, when most people find out I backpack and ask me about how much I carry they are the ones who ask how I get my pack too light.

Don't get me wrong, learning to make do with less and having gear that serves multiple functions has impacted my day to day life but nothing like the self imposed social castration you describe.

To put it bluntly, you're just a dork. :P

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I am a DORK too!!! I have Ultralight Sickness to the tenth degree. I am constanly looking for new ways,products,gagets so on so on!!! Less is More and how many grams can I shave off that item. Every day in every way I get a little lighter and I love it!!!!!!!!!! Most of my close freinds think I am a FREAK.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Well, at least I'm not totally alone.

Chad – have you been hanging out with my friends? They seem to share your sentiment. Maybe I just need new friends. :)

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

You'd still be a dork to your new friends. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Dorks and Geeks must unite ;-)

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Just as long as they don't breed! :)

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

You know, one of the first steps to getting help is to admit you have a problem…………

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

> Chad – have you been hanging out with my friends?

I used to backpack and hang out with Chad when I lived in Minnesota. Birds of a feather…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Devin, If a chaper exists in your community, you might drop in and say:

"hello, my name is Devin, and I'm an ultra-light backpacker…." :>)

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Yes….acknowledging you have a problem is the first step…

Hello, my name is Allison, and I first realised I had a problem when other people laughed at me for punching holes in my tiolet paper to decrease it's weight per sheet…

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

allison, i've heard of holes drilled in toothbrushes(i haven't gone that far,i just buy baby toothbrushes)but holes in your toilet paper? very funny….why not just do what sheryl crow does, and use one square??? he he

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I drill holes in my Ti spork. Saved 2 grams. HEEE! HEEEE!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

What's toilet paper?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

What's toilet paper?

mmm….snowpaper

A. B.

@tomswifty

I don't think you've gone crazy until you start looking into body modifications.

"Hey Doc, do you think we could drill out some holes in my femur? It really looks a little bulkier than it needs to be."

"I only need one kidney, right?"

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Yep Jay, you are a freak!!!

Hiking lighter just makes hiking much more enjoyable. Now when I buy gear, if I don't see how much it weighs, I won't buy it.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Ken whats the name of that sewing shop in Berkley that does backpacking stuff? U- FUGAZI

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jay I forget. If you were to leave REI in Berkeley and drive north on San Pablo it will be on the right hand side just after Gilman St. That is all I can remember. The building sticks out like a sore thumb. They do great work too.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Ken, I can find it on San Paublo- its all coming back to me know. What about White Mnt.? Seems like a long drive when there other possabilties [sp] closer.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Yeah it is also alot to chew off 7 days on showshoes is alot. There are a ton of stuff to do in the Sierra's. I am down with anything. Also looking at doing a through hike of Point Reyes if anyone is interested around January

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Narain's Outdoor Fabric and Sewing
    1275 San Pablo Ave.
    (Cross street: Gilman)
    Berkeley, CA 94706

510-527-2509

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey thanks Casey!!!!!!! Where you been? Whats up? Nice bannana slugs.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

the simple fact that i now have a sewing machine freaks anyone out that knows me. when i go out solo my friends and family think im crazy but by now they know i am safe when out and about.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

"So here's my question: How have habits or perspectives that you've picked up by being an "ultralighter" made you most socially awkward?"

Well, that's easy. I spend between 50-90% of the year in the backcountry. And my three year plan involves two solid years of traveling (a year abroad plus the CDT and AT). There is no way that I could pull it together physically without a light back nor financially without a light lifestyle.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools