Topic

botton layer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists botton layer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eric Chambers

@tomandme34

hey
    i was going to wear jeans but i realized they are really not lite weight. Sweat pants? or like a button up? under armor? something lite?

we are going to the Red River Gorge in two weeks. SO its going to be chilly..

A. B.

@tomswifty

I would avoid depending on cotton for any kind of warmth. When it gets wet it is useless. In cold weather I've done pretty well using synthetic long johns and light weight nylon pants. You could also look at fleece pants. But you will probably want a 'shell' to stop the drafts.

I wouldn't be too concerned about clothing weight unless you are bringing too much extra. Clothes on the body distribute weight very well. 5 lbs of clothes on your body feels lighter than 5 lbs of clothes on your back.

Eric Chambers

@tomandme34

i bought xps its 100% polyester. Its like underarmor. It keeps me really warm.

but fleece would just be enough?

A. B.

@tomswifty

If that keeps you warm then I would go with that. Do you wear something over it?

Keep in mind that you will want to be warm when you aren't hiking. I think fleece is a decent, inexpensive option for around camp. I wouldn't really want to hike in it.

Eric Chambers

@tomandme34

I was thinking about button up pants over them maybe?

thanks for the help!

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

probably for hiking you would be fine with a pair of nylon windpants (which you can buy super cheap at a department store)over long johns. This is a low budget version of a softshell.

Avoid cotton in all its forms. It will chafe, freeze, and take forever to dry

A. B.

@tomswifty

I'm afraid I don't know what button up pants are. What are they made out of?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Buttons?

Eric Chambers

@tomandme34

tearway pants. all you have to do is button them up.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Kind of like jogging pants or track-suit type of pants, you can usually get something at KMart that is all nylon, they often have a mesh inner, and zip legs. Check labels for 100% synthetics. Over your longies they will be quite warm.
    Other good stores to check for cheap are Ross and Marshalls.
    I heard Mervyn's is going out of business, if you have one.

Try to blow through the fabric, or suck air through it to see how wind resistant it will be.

Light colors can help keep from overheating if you have to wear them in the sun or transition alot.

They can blow around too much in high winds, trip hazard if too loose at the boots. For climbing, the legs may be too big around. They can bind on your longies at the knee and cause resistance when climbing. May see some with articulated knee. Some have smoother linings at least near the knees to facilitate slippage. Some have zip pockets. No pockets may be preferable to open hand pockets, or can sew them up.
    Can add a tie point on the cuff to tie them down around the boot as half-as gaiters. They often come with a useless waist cord and stripes which can be removed.

I have some powerstretch fleece loose (manly!) tights that have an ultra wide range of temps. With some altered nylon Wilson Golf microfiber pants, 20-30 degrees is great if I can move around. If belaying someone all day down in a gorge, maybe a couple sleeping bags on the crash pad? You need thickness of insulation if stationary.

Eric Chambers

@tomandme34

thanks! for the help!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools