I'm looking for a new daypack, does anyone know what the lightest are on the market today in the 16-20 liter range?
René
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
I'm looking for a new daypack, does anyone know what the lightest are on the market today in the 16-20 liter range?
René
How about a golite ion?
My small version weight 6.8 oz, and medium weights 7.3 (sans hip belt for both)
Or a Zpack Zero for just 2.3oz or 65 grams.
Hallo. Hoe bent u?
I've dayhiked and overnighted (2 nights) with the Ion and have been impressed with its toughness. Doesn't look like much but this "sack" took on some good boulder scrapes with no marks.
Just curious – where do you hike in Holland? I haven't been there in years (friends in Amstelveen and Bussum) but my recollection is it is flat and a lot of the coast beneath sea level. Do you hike along the coast? Go across the border? Just curious – hiking in Europe conjurs up Italy, Switzerland, Germany to me…
Best van geluk
(I haven't used Dutch in about 10 years – sorry)
Hallo Eric, met mij alles goed!
You are right, holland is flat! Like you said i like to walk along the coastline and on the long distance trails that are marked all around the netherlands. My preference is hiking over the border, Scotland, Scandinavie, Germany, Switserland and other country's in the alps. Butt lately it hasn't come to that. So i walk in the flat country that is the netherlands!
Thanks for the tips so far.
René
Rene, I'd support the ion as well…no it isn't the lightest possible pack, but I think it is a great balance between weight, function, durability, and price. One thing I like in a daypack is a bit of structure which the ion does not have, so I've actually found it works better on short 1 to 2 day UL trips where you have a sleeping pad for structure and plenty of gear to fill it out. My ion weighs 7.2 oz (size medium) after I removed the sternum strap and cut off the waist strap.
I don't own a zpacks, but have been looking at them and agree if light weight is the only criteria then those are the packs to check out.
There are a few packs in between but without more specifics these pretty much frame up what is possible.
Jamie
I would recommend looking at the MLD 09 Prophet which is similar in volume, 100% dyneema grid x and has multiple standard features that many Ion owners select to incorporate onto their packs as do it yourself modifications. The pack is slightly heavier but IMHO well worth the added weight.
Rene'
Heel goed.
Nice to talk with you. One of these days I hope to find myself hiking in Switzerland. Has to be beautiful. Holland too is beautiful – maybe you can get your light pack and be the first Dutchman to circumnavigate the county of Holland!!!!
Take care.
Hello Eric, i did a mountaineering course in switserland in 2002 and yes it is beautifull! I hope to hike in the US some day…. For the daypack i think i am waiting until spring 2009 when Terra Nova comes out with a 20 liter pack that weighs about 340 grams.
Greetings René
Sounds like it was a great trip. I've dayhiked in England some and in the Czech Republic but that is it. If you can make it to the States you will not be disappointed. I dated a Dutch girl for a long time and I used to always tell her that our National Parks and wilderness areas are our castle's, cathedrals, and palaces. If it helps, my top 5 favorite destinations (so far) have been: 1) Teton Crest Trail; 2) Paria River Canyon; 3) Grand Canyon rim-to-rim; 4) Maroon Bells loop; and 5)anything in Ranier… I'm in NC so I hike a lot of the Appalachian Trail – I guess you covet that which is close – but long for that which is far away.
Trails are waiting!!!
Erik
Thom, I think you are right about the Prophet. I've been eyeing the 09 Prophet since Ron posted it…ok so its only been a week or 2. I can not imagine a more perfectly designed pack for the SUL backpacker. Yes it is not the lightest, but it is light at 10.5 oz. The size is perfect at 2000 cu in for the main body…three mesh pockets with the sides at an angle…removable sternum and waist straps… roll top closure out of silnylon while the body is Dyneema. I believe this one pack will replace my 3 existing packs.
I placed my order last night.
Jamie
Jamie,
I already have received mine, very nice.
.
Dave, You are so right…I own a GG Virga, a Golite Ion, and I just recently purchased a Golite Jam2 hoping to find the pack that was a slightly larger ion with a few features. I really like the Jam2, but it has just a few too many features and is just too big for me. And of course it weighs accordingly. I kept waiting for the Prophet and when I saw it I said that is it…the perfect pack. Unfortunately I had to wait for funds…and an excuse to explain to my wife why out of my closet full of packs…not one is just perfect.
Thom, You are lucky to have the pack in your hands. I'm hoping to get my MLD superlight bivy before my trip next weekend. I'm sure I'll have to wait for a future trip before I can test drive the Prophet, but I am sure it will be worth the wait.
Jamie
Become a member to post in the forums.