Topic

Jacket vs. Vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Jacket vs. Vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Adams

@mja75

Locale: Midwest....unfortunately

I am trying to decide between using an insulated jacket or an insulated vest during my cold weather backpacking trips (assuming both are the same make/model/manufacturer) and was wondering about the pros/cons of each. The lowest non-sleeping temps will likely be in the low 30's. I am looking for something I can hike in and wear around camp. Thanks for any info!

Matt

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Matt,

How about a combination? I am pretty happy with my combination of a Patagonia Micropuff hooded jacket with Polarguard insulation and a loft of 0.6" This piece is sized with plenty of room to layer a puffy underneath. Then I add a down vest, Montbell Alpine vest, underneath. This is a 1.5-2" loft with baffles (not the very thin Alpine light).

I like this combination because it puts the synthetic jacket on the outside which can be a little wet while protecting the down vest. I'm not willing to wear just a thick, down jacket because I'm afraid of getting it wet but, for very little weight and volume, the down vest adds a whole lot to the combination.

With good gloves and a beanie/balaclava, this should take you well below freezing in camp. YMMV

Matthew Adams

@mja75

Thanks for the info guys! I am looking at layering, but not sure exactly how I want to do it. Since my OP, I purchased the MontBell Thermawrap Jacket (c'mon, it was ON SALE!) so I am excited to see how it performs this winter with some thermal base layers. I figured that I would be comfortable hiking in a vest, but it would be too cold in camp, but I could probably layer to be comfortable while hiking in the jacket. Oh, and sorry about the thread location. I didn't realize I was putting it in the MYOG forum. Thanks again!

Matt

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

You can always buy the jacket, buy two zippers over at thru-hiker.com for $10 and have a local alteration place put them in for about $20. That way you have zip of arms and you are ready to go.

Matthew Adams

@mja75

Brett,
    I actually considered doing something like that, but would hate to butcher nice new gear! :D ….still considering it though….

Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools