Topic

Tent Stakes w/Cord Loops

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent Stakes w/Cord Loops

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Locale: Southwest

Dumb Question: How are you supposed to use the tent stakes that have a drilled hole with cord threaded and tied into a loop?

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I use MSR Groundhogs which have this loop. I only use the cord for pulling them out. The notch on the top of the stake acts like a fish hook if you pull it out by the stake. They can hurt! As an added bonus, they are reflective at night.

I don't use the loops for guylines or securing the tent/tarp. I just make a loop at the end of the guy line and slide it over the stake until it catches the notch.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

How about cutting off the loops and use the guy line to remove the spikes. Loop the guyline under the hook and pull!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

FYI

Often the small loop of cord attached to tent stakes is also highly reflective so you don't step on them.

I will often use an extra tent stake to pull out other stakes. Of course this only works once you get the first stake out. :)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The notches on all my "Y" stakes are not smooth or well rounded. This could form an abrasive edge to fray guy lines. If you don't use the loop provided for the guy line you should probably spend some time with a jeweler's file smoothing up the notches. Ultralight guy line material is expensive. Not to mention potential damage your tarp or tent.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I love the little string on the stakes! Pre tie them with a short loop of cord, and use 'em like shown in the cartoon below.

Also – the SLIPPERY-HALF-HITCH is a vital knot for this purpose!

Sthe string is on the stake is yellowee this link for the SLIPPERY-HALF-HITCH knot:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ditch_your_stakes.html?forum_thread_id=14736&disable_pagination=1

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Thanks Mike, That's a thing of true beauty…! Question: Why do you prefer the SHH to a Slippery Taut Line Hitch?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

The Slippery Half Hitch (SHH) is a lot quicker to tie than the Taught Line Hitch (TLH). Also, it uses less string, when tied onto the little cord loop on a tent stake.

And, it's quicker to un-tie too.

I'm just used to tying it, it's ingrained in my muscle memory. I can tie it with cold hands, in the dark, etc… (Hmmmm, maybe a BPL video?)

I use the TLH sometimes, in some applications. They pretty much do the same thing. If you know the TLH, use it! If you don't know the SHH, it's a great simple knot to add to your arsenal.

There is a nice adjustable ability with the TLH, but I find I rarely use it.

There's a SHH instructional in the STAKELESS article.

Also – The SHH is sometimes called a MULE knot.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Be warned: the SHH can easily slip on Spectra and similar synthetic strings. It just runs under load. (Yes, tested.)

Cheers

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

I have too many years invested in learning the taut line hitch to abandon it on a whim. Where was the SHH when I was a child?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

A whim?!?!

You should try the SHH, it's easy! If you can tie the complicated TLH, you can tie the much easier SHH.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

You don't understand, it's an emotional investment.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I used to use the TLH to tie down motorcycles in my pickup. Never lost a bike. I also used that hitch to tie down my sailboat to the trailer. Never lost a boat. Besides tying one while someone watches is way cool.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Reviving an ancient thread here but I just got new MSR Carbon Cores and want to keep the stake loops as light as I can. Other than skipping them altogether, anyone have any recommendations? I like the stuff on Groundhog Minis but don't know where to get it or what it's called.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Spectra, Dyneema, Dacron etc …
    Kite sites and fishing shops.

Cheers
    PS: Kevlar and Vectran could be more difficult.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools