Topic

ceramic fabric / titanium wood stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear ceramic fabric / titanium wood stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I obtained a few scraps of 3.6 oz/yard alumina fabric and I've had a good time wasting it on wood stove ideas. I thought I'd post some photos. This one is a tripod supported by three aluminum tent stakes I made from arrow shafts (0.23 oz each) and a triangular platform of 0.016" titanium sheet. The basket is about 4" in diameter and 6" deep. The whole thing is collapsible. The screen at the bottom of the fuel basket is made from titanium wire and below it is an adjustable air inlet (see pics). The adjustable air inlet actually turned out well, I thought. The flame can be tempered for simmering, I found.

I don't usually use aluminum foil pot lids and other pieces of expendable gear, and I don't want a stove of questionable long term utility. So, the pictures are after about sixteen hours of test burns. The total weight is 2.7 ounces (76 grams). If one cheats a little and counts the tent stakes as part of the tent weight, the stove then comes in at 2.0 ounces (56 grams). I didn't do any strict tests of boil times, but it boils 900mL in my titanium pot without fuel replenishment, and I found that adjusting the inlet air can be used to simmer. It needs a wind screen. That's next, I guess.

ke wu

@asidesign

Locale: Block seven

nothing to say, just cool!

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Cool and inspired! I'm impressed by the metalworking. Hmmm. A sub 3 ounce stove with no need to carry fuel…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools