Topic

Dehydrated apple juice?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dehydrated apple juice?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Anyone knows if such a thing exists? Lately, uncooked oats with apple juice has become my favorite breakfast but apple juice is so heavy for hiking.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Yes, it does exist. It's made by Alpine and called Original Spiced Cider Apple Flavor Drink Mix. (Continental Mills, PO Box 88176, Seattle, WA 93138-2176). You can find it at REI. Pretty tasty!

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Sounds delicious. Can someone tell me how much a pack weights and how many calories it has?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I can't find it…

cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Contents:
    Sugar, Malic Acid, Maltodextrin, Tricalcium Phosphate (Prevents Caking), Apple Juice Solids, Caramel Color, Sodium Citrate (Controls Acidity), Ascorbic Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Spice Extractive.

Hum …
    How about just freeze-dried apple juice?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

>Contents:
    Sugar, Malic Acid, Maltodextrin, Tricalcium Phosphate (Prevents Caking), Apple Juice Solids, Caramel Color, Sodium Citrate (Controls Acidity), Ascorbic Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Spice Extractive.

lol

>How about just freeze-dried apple juice?

tell me more.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

you could always take some dried apple pieces or freeze dried apples…. just rehydrate them with a bit of boiling water and then use the "juice" from that and apples in your oatmeal. It won't be quite the same but it will taste good.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Here is the Nutritional Information on ALPINE SPICED CIDER Instant Apple Flavor Drink Mix, powder

Edit: fixed oops

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Mott's also makes a single packaged "Hot Spiced Cider" mix. It does have a bunch of the same stuff, but "apple juice solids" are listed second on the ingredients list (after sugar), which may or may not mean there is more of it than in the other mix. Also has some vitamin C. I don't know how much of this stuff makes it to groceries on your sub-continent, but it might be worth a look. For 21 g of mix it has 80 Cal. With packaging it comes to just under 25 g.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

I will check for 'spiced cider mix' next time I visit wholesale market. 80cal/25grams is not too bad.

Idea of carrying dried apple is also good one. We are planning to buy an oven soon… :) lets see.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

As well you could get freeze dried apples and grind them into a powder. (Don't use air dried apples, you need the freeze dried)
    Though apple cider powders work much better – and are sweetened.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Sarah

> Though apple cider powders work much better – and are sweetened.
    Depends on what you want. Personally, the added sweetening is one of the major things turning me OFF.

What I was asking for was 'apple juice', not some form of 'spiced sweetened apple cider'. Looks as though I am doomed to disappointment?

Cheers

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You could do my trick of powdering freeze dried apples as mentioned above.
    Will it be the same? No, but it won't be awful.

I am sure some where out there is a supplier of freeze dried crystals of apple juice – but I have yet to find it. Freeze dried juice crystals are not something you see outside of mass producers of food.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Huzefa, unspiced apple drink mix is available from BePrepared.com, but you have to buy a #10 can (about a gallon) for $15.95. Makes 96 0ne cup servings. Unfortunately, it too has sugar. Come to think of it, even my jug of apple juice in the frige has sugar in it. Must be a Republican conspiracy.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

>As well you could get freeze dried apples and grind them into a powder. (Don't use air dried apples, you need the freeze dried)

ok.. no need to buy the oven then? :) jk

I very much doubt about I will find freeze dried apples here and even if I did find it, it sounds like it will be quite expensive.

I will look for cider mix but I dont want to import. All I want is some flavor to go with uncooked oats but I can live without it fine.

I tried uncooked oats with plain water and raisin and it didnt like it a bit.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I know you live in India (right?) so lets see….think about what you have locally that you can buy and then try it out.
    What kind of sweeteners do they have there? Do you ever see maple syrup? It is great with oats. Coconut milk is good with oats.
    Do you ever see apple juice in small boxes? Here in the US they sell juice aimed at kids – it doesn't need refrigeration. Usually about 6-8 ounces of juice in a box. Perfect for a bowl of cereal.
    You need to spend time looking at what you have and you might get something that works! It may weigh a bit more but will be worth it :-)

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Yes I live in India.

Thanks for suggestions. We do get apple juice in small 200ml pack and it doesnt require refrigeration if consumed immediately after opening. I will look into maple syrup and coconut milk. The thing is I dont know what to look for and this forum is amazing for new ideas. I got idea of uncooked oats from here too. My mom thinks I am crazy and she didnt even tasted it. :)

Wesley Tanaka

@wtanaka

Apple flavored TANG ( http://www.boohee.com/shiwu/kafupingguoguozhen ) exists in supermarkets all over mainland China. I actually came upon this thread looking for it online.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

In China, just because something uses a familiar foreign label doesn't mean it's genuine… especially when it comes in a flavor found only in China.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I doubt you'll find it here ."Apple" is an entire category of flavors, scents, etc. in China. For example the very popular Goldfish dish-soap smells like Oranges. White Rabbit is a favorite candy with no mention of Grace Slik or Lewis Carroll.In addition you might not really want it if you know how it was produced.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

Dehydrated apple juice would be so close to a sugar that i'd just look for a sugar I liked. Date sugar? That one is natural, just finely ground dates, iirc

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I will look into maple syrup and coconut milk."

Huzefa,

You've got one of the most delicious sweeteners I've ever tasted available locally, gur, especially if made from date palm syrup. Yummy.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

I was recently in Canada (Hope BC) and did a little tour of the grocery stores there to see if I could find some cool new products… I found a lot of really neat stuff.

One thing I found was a variety of drink mixes. Made in Ontario. And yes, there is an apple flavor. I haven't tried the apple yet, but the pear flavor is DELICIOUS. No, it does not contain any actual pear, but it tastes good. And NOT sugar free, which I hate.

As far as I can tell, this product is not available in the states, but maybe you can get a Canadian to ship you some? *cough*Laurie*cough* It is not expensive at all. Less than $3/bag.

Apple is on the bottom left:

DSC03250

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools