Topic

How to add pit zips? + scratchy seams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How to add pit zips? + scratchy seams

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ivo zlatinov

@ivaylo

Hello

I recently got a TNF Pamir windstopper jacket. i know, not UL but works for me.

I am thinking about adding pit zips for improved ventilation. I would appreciate any tips – what zippers, where to buy, how to put them, e.g. can i saw by hand vs. machine, etc.

Another question: the seams on the sleeves are quite scratchy on the arms w/ a short sleeve T: any advice how and with what to tape them / eliminate this scratchiness

fyi: i plan to use the Windstopper over a merino T for winter jogging and biking, and add a PacLite shell for rainy days. should be fine for 40F or so

Do UL backpackers use Windstopper at all?

Neil Bender

@nebender

I’ve put 14″ YKK coil zippers available in most fabric stores, even Walmart, in cycling jersies and windbreakers by simply ripping open the seam with a seam ripper. Then I first attach the zipper by the edges with a zig-zag stitch one edge at a time, right sides together, leaving the ends unstitched at this time. Turn the garment right side out, open the sipper, then topstitch a box around the entire zipper. Rather than snip a Y into the ends to get a clean rectangular box of stitching, I usually just taper the stitching down to the original seam so this top-stitched box of stitching is really a hexagon. All this this could be done by hand but is slow. With a sewing machine, ripping out the factory stitched takes lonegr than sewing in a pit zip.

A cleaner installation involves sewing a zipper neatly into a gusset then sewing the gusset into the ripped open seam. This is useful for instance where you want a flap over the zipper, the flap material can match the gusset and look like it was original.

You could bind the seams that scratch with grosgrain tape or lycra that is used to finish the cuffs and edges on some fleece garments.

No experience with windstopper. I prefer seperate wind and base layers for layering versatility.

ivo zlatinov

@ivaylo

thanks for the response Neil.

i found this quest outtitters website and now am wondering how to pass a sewing machine as a present to my wife
    cheers
    ivo

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Ivo,

I know that my wife would be less than touched even if I did buy a sewing machine *for her*… kind of like getting her a new vacuum cleaner or dustmop ;) YMMV

Ben

ivo zlatinov

@ivaylo

Ben,

I’m with you there – and I think I figured it out:

I’ll wait till she says we need to buy my daughter a new rain jacket (the old one is already small) and then BAM! – I drop the bomb telling her i’ll make the jacket – *all* I need is a sewing machine and some Gore Tex, both readily available for purchase. There is a fine line justifying the sewing machine expense, but I should be able to get some traction with sth like “You want our daughter to have a great rain jacket which is guaranteed to keep her dry, don’t you?” – how can she say no to that? And since there aren’t many Gore Tex jackets for kids, I’ll be in business

cheers
    ivo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools