Topic

Mapping GPSes: Garmin Colorado v. Satmap Active 10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mapping GPSes: Garmin Colorado v. Satmap Active 10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Locale: SE Michigan

Last year when I did the TGO Challenge I carried a Garmin Colorado with me. I had some issues with it. The display is, as has been noted in reviews here, rather dim. Acquisition time was also a bit on the slow side and if it was going to fail it would take quite a while to do so before starting fresh. I even had an issue, which I could never track down, where a bunch of route data never made it to the unit (could'v been a software issue with either Mapyx Quo or Garmin's software I never could figure that out–long story). I never could get the OS maps on to the Colorado which kind of sucked (and the less I say about the lousy background map perhaps the better, when the unit places you in the Atlantic Ocean when you are still a couple miles inland you know the basemap is pathetic).

I find myself wondering what the display and performance characteristics are like of devices like the Satmap Active 10. You can't rely on pictures on the web for this. has anyone got experience with this , or similar , GPS units?

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

The Satmap Active 10 is large and heavy (8 oz), but is excellent. I carry a GPS for use in bad visibility when on my own and the instant cross-check from on-screen display to paper map is very useful. When I need to use the GPS the conditions are normally foul, so not having to think about transferring grid references is good – what is on the screen is exactly the same as the paper map.

Disadvantages are a slow fix time when first switching on and limited map data – I use both UK and Norwegian mapping on mine (complete 1:50000 coverage is available for both).

I've not used mine long enough to give figures on battery life (I carry it, but it's usually switched off), but have had 18-20 hours from a set of lithium batteries.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Kenneth,
    I'm not familiar with the Satmap but I have replaced my older Garmin etrex with the Garmin Map 60CSx and I couldn't be more thrilled. It's not UL but the features are great, I've never had a hitch loading or downloading, and this thing can get a fix in a cave!

The display is clear and bright enough for sunny days.

I live in a two story house an it follows me from room to room, downstairs!

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

How's the mapping level and such for the 60CSx? Does it have base maps or just maps that you buy via other software? What level of expense are you looking at for the software w/ maps for typical backpacking use? Does it handle tracks well where you can download them later and study the trail you took? Any other major draw backs?

I've been looking at some sort of mapping GPS but have been a little hesitant to drop the money for a Garmin Oregon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools