Topic

Need help stretching can for stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need help stretching can for stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I've made a few stoves using the template from zenstoves.net for the V8 can side burner. It makes a nice stove for mugs. My problem is I am getting the base stuck whenever I try to stretch it. I've made a can stretcher based on the directions and at least 3 of 4 cans I try to stretch get stuck. The instructions say to apply heat and it should pop off…mine do not, I have to destroy the bottom piece to remove it and start over. I'm spending a fortune on V8 just to make a single stove. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks, Jamie

darren stephens

@darren5576

Locale: Down Under

G'Day
    The problem I found was the airlock. Try this
    • I just cut a small strip about 5mm wide from the waste can material,
    • Bent the end over so I could hold it.
    • Lube the end of a full can as the stretcher.
    • Sat the thin strip down the wall of the can to be stretched.
    • Then pushed the full can inside.
    • Removal was easy as air could pass along beside the thin strip.
    Hope that helps.
    P.S
    If you are concerned about wasting cans, do what I do, use cans that have your favourite alcoholic drink in them. The more you waste the less you care
    Darren

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Did you make the can stretcher by pressing an unopened can into the bottom portion of a similar can? If so did you polish the bottom (stretcher) portion with fine steel wool, to remove the paint and smooth it? If it still sticks you might try spreading a drop of oil, or silicone spray, on the stretcher can before stretching the stove can. I've never had mine stick. That would be a real pain.

Note the small hole in the bottom of the stretcher can, which allows the unopened can to bottom out.
    Stretcher Can Side View
    Side view of Stretcher Can
    Stretcher Can End View
    End view of Stretcher Can

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Great ideas guys thanks! Let me go cut off last nights disaster and see if I can get it to work.

Yeah my can stretcher is made by pressing an unopened can into the portion of another half can but no I have not "polished" it, I sanded most of the paint off. I'd better go polish it.

But good news is that the one stove I made last night (using like 8 cans) did turn out to be a success. I just tested it. But as I experiment with different hieghts and hole sizes I need to be able to make more without so many cans:)

Thanks for the input,
    Jamie

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Polish is important. Use very fine steel wool and lots of elbow grease. Be gentle and let the steel wool do the work. A mirror like finish is to be desired.

D LARSON
    BPL Member

@epilektric

Locale: Midwest

As others have mentioned, some steel wool to shine it up might help. I just checked out my own can stretcher because I couldn't remember if I had polished it. As it turns out it's not polished but I haven't had your problem.

When stretching a can I can feel the air pressure build up as I press down. When I release it the air pressure helps to push the can off the stretcher.

On rare occasions I have to carefully push the can off the stretcher with my thumbs but I suspect this has to do with using a variety of different cans that may be slightly different in diameter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools