Topic

Top layers that work for me from frigid to fiery

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Top layers that work for me from frigid to fiery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Hello all
    up top I use:
    Icebreaker tech t lite
    Icebreaker Mondo Zip
    Patagonia houdini
    Pataginia R1 hoody
    Montbell ex light down jacket
    Arcteryx alpha LT
    Smartwool stretch beanie
    Head buff

I use all the above on most trips the cases where it doesn't rain the alpha lt is the one used least and the heaviest. The tech t is pretty much always on my body as is the head buff (I have pretty long hair and I like that it keeps it out of the way and tidy even after a week without washing it as well is nice for pulling over my eyes when I lay down). The mondo comes on for hiking in the cold and at night for sleeping. The r1 comes on at breaks and night, or if I am moving in very cold conditions just around freezing.
    I find the houdini works well for dealing with bugs/wind/drizzle/sun/all of the above. The montbell comes on at cold breaks/(its never been cold enough for me to hike wearing it as well as the other layers)and after dark I drape it over me to sleep. I keep the beanie in a hipbelt pocket and it gets used at breaks during the day and then after I get to camp it stays on until the morning. I use a bag liner and the lightweight cocoon quilt and balaclava. I have spent a night out under the stars where the temps dropped and stayed below freezing long enough to freeze a gallon of water solid. I have yet to encounter a situation in which I was unprepared it tems of clothing (shelter being a different matter) up top. If I am backpacking in summer then I have made it sucessfully with less clothes however for the weight penalty I would rather not be without any of them if there was the chance temps/wind/or rain were going to be factors.
    Anyone using something similar?

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Seems like your list would be nice for winter, but overkill in the summer.

My clothing list varies greatly by the weather I expect to see, but includes some icebreaker pieces. I think they are great quality, and very versatile.

I like Patagonia, but don't use it much for backpacking anymore since I've been using the Icebreaker.

I do carry a Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka just about year round.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

How is the Montbell Ex Light? I've seen the BPL review but how is the jacket in practice?

Sean Walashek

@caraz

I wear a size medium usually but in the montbell I had to size up to a USA Large/Japan XL. That being said I have only used it on 4 nights out and it really is light, silly light and very warm in the conditions I have worn it (coldest being inactive in 40F). It comes with a stuff sac that allows it to pack down to the size of a fosters can. I don't like packing it that small so will usually just keep it in a gallon zip so I can mold it to fit where I want. It has lost about 5 feathers so far (only feathers however with sharp quills, not any of the gossamer down tufts). The arms and body are long enough for me to be comfortable (I don't have a particularly long torso by anymeans but I find most down sweaters ride up to around my belly button when I lift my arms) this jacket does not. I am 5'10" and have a 30 waist and the size large US is just the smallest bit too loose in my abdomen region for a perfect fit, when layering the two shirts and r1 under however it is almost perfect. There are no draw stings on the bottom and the wind does come through here and the fabric at the seams, which is to be expected with sewn through baffles and a 7 denier fabric so to really seal in the heat I add the houdini on top of it and draw it tight at the bottom. The fabric is suprisingly soft and smooth and the collar traps heat very well. I am very happy with it as it really is so very light and warm. The lack of pockets is something I like and the zipper for being so small has not had any issue with tracking or getting caught up. I love it.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Thanks a bunch – I just wish it just came with a hood. Montbell, are you there?

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

They make the UL Parka

Sean Walashek

@caraz

I think the hood would really add some serious heat and I would bet it will come at some point, however I think it would be a different piece as of the ex light they say "…represents the ultimate in minimalist design, you won’t find any superfluous “bells & whistles” here." Now we may argue if a hood is bells and whistles or an essential part of minimalist design but it would require a drawcord or extra elastic around the face to make use of the extra btu's, which means a toggle. I will say that I like a hood on almost all things, on this piece however I am happy to not have one as I will wear it draped over me at night, or I will wear it backwards unzipped with my arms through the sleeves and the back on my chest, and am happy to not have a hood in my face to contend with while sleeping.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I have it too and your mini-review is spot-on Sean. My comments here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16148&skip_to_post=121373#121373

A hood would be cushy!, but make more sense on a heavier jacket, it's true. Synthetic Thermawrap parka would make you more kill-proof in gnarly conditions.

This is a fairy-weight liner jacket. I want to wear it around the house, but afraid to wear it out. It fits loose in the abdomen, but I think that is OK because it lets it air out more if you do have to wear it while moving.

Took it on 4 overnights. Only seen one small feather make it thru so far. No down though.

That's funny about the hood. For a luxury item I sometimes bring an old North face balaclava-style down hood just to put over my face, because I wear all my other clothes. Never breathe in the bag that way.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

I just checked that review it looks like I have someone to ask how stuff fits first :) the medium definatly was too tight across the back for me. Glad to see we came to the same conclusions.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

Hi Sean,

I use a very similar set of layers to what you have although I take less in the way of outer layers and also would not go quite as cold as it sounds like you do. I love the icebreaker stuff and find it to be very comfortable and odor resistant for days at a time, its also great over a wide range of temperatures. I may add a hooded down parka this winter to get down into those hard freezes.

Icebreaker Tech T lite
    Icebreaker Rock Zip
    Montbell Thermawrap
    Wool Beanie
    Possumdown Gloves

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools