Topic

Simple wood burning stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Simple wood burning stove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I was wondering if anyone had a plan to make a simple wood burning stove out of simple items like cans and maybe something akin to a leather punch. Something just real simple and easy that anyone anywhere could make with stuff in their homes. Thanks.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet
    Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Brett,

I made this one from three cans using a felt tip marker, "Sharp" utility knife, 3/8" drill, Ice Pick and a hole punch from Harbor Freight Tools (Punch costs less than $25.00). You could get by drilling all the holes for the inner can, outer can and Tuna Fish can, and save yourself the hole punch cost. But, if you do many sheet metal MYOG projects the punch will come in handy, especially putting holes in titanium.

Took about an hour. Works great. Weighs 4.16 ounces.

Large can (outer wall) is a pie filling can (blueberry).
    Inner can is Campbell's Tomato Soup can.
    Pot stand is Tuna Fish can.

BB knockoff with BPL SUL-1100 pot
    Wood Stove with pot stand in place.
    BB knockoff Top View
    Inside view of fire box. (I have since punched twice as many holes, using an ice pick)
    BB knockoff with BPL SUL-1100 pot
    Wood Stove with BPL SUL1100 pot.
    Stove Stuff 4 Rotated
    Wood Stove with MSR 2 Liter Titanium Pot

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Okay, I do not know of any hobos who have power tools laying around to make hobo stoves out of. Let us say they have a nail and a rock to punch holes, a pair of scissors to cut the metal with and a can(s) that are commonly found, what then?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

The most you'd really need is a utility knife, or a Buck Folding Hunter, a nail and a rock; given you could open the cans in the first place. Ingenuity Brett. Use your imagination.

A. B.

@tomswifty

Brett, have you seen a hobo stove before? It is literally a can with some holes. No plans are required.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

If you make this stove, with whatever "tools" you can find, you'll be the envy of all the 'Bos in camp. A "downdraft" (let's not get technical here) wood gas HoBo stove. All the 'Bos 'll be wanting to buy you a bottle of Thunderbird.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Check out this stove link from zenstoves.net . I've made (and depended on for a 2 1/2 week hike) a variation on this stove with a church key and tin can. Do not use galvanized hardware cloth as is emitts toxic fumes. Also check out the main site's wood stove info that includes a huge list of types of wood and their suitability as fuel.. Zen Backpacking Stoves

ps the pot stand wires on this particular stove leave alot of room for improvement–they are fiddly.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I can make a simple one myself but was wondering if there were any good designs out there rather than the easy few that I know of. If is just hard to make yourself a new one if you need a drill or such and you are at least 17.3 miles away from the nearest electric drill.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Brett, I made this one a few years ago and it worked very well for my needs. It weighed ~1.5 oz and was dead simple. The top "crown" was cut with scissors. I did use a church key for the bottom holes, but you could just punch them with a nail – there wasn't any science to it. It fit nicely in my MSR Ti Kettle and held up very well. I'm not even sure why I don't make another one!
    Hobo stove

A. B.

@tomswifty

I'm not sure what you mean by 'good design'. What is not good about what you already know how to make?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Denis, I like your stove. Nice, clean, simple and evidences a steady hand, especially for a brother “bo” suggesting his affection for Thunderbird. By the way, tell me how you made that square cut in the tuna can. Thanks and best regards, John

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

John,
    After punching the holes in the tuna can, I used tin snips to cut between holes. If you're going to try one of these, be sure to use a Campbell's Soup can that does not have a "ridge" around the side, just above the bottom. The widest part of the inner can must be the rim left around the top. I opened the pie filling can with a utility knife, by scoring around and around and around and around, with the knife. Then I took a stick of wood and set it in the middle of the scored top and whacked it with a hammer. Cut the hole a little smaller than the diameter of the soup can and drive the soup can into the hole using a block of wood and a hammer. It should be a tight fit. After a few firings the joint will gunk up with soot and will be "glued" in place.

Be sure to wipe all the metal shavings off the top before whacking. That way you minimize getting filings in the pie filling. When you finish making the stove, spoon the filling over yogurt and have a snack while you wait for the water to boil.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools