Topic

Gout sufferers and meal packing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Gout sufferers and meal packing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BRIAN BOLIN
    BPL Member

@oboz

Locale: OVER YONDER'

FINALLY – Its been a week now and the colchicine helped rid of the flare up. Boy that really tears up the tummy(understatement). Stepped up the my meds and have gout under control. Boy that was the worst I have ever had it. My doc is concerned about my kidneys now and have to get labs soon. I'll do whatever as long as the ol' gout monster stays away..lol.
    Thanks Ken and everyone for listening and relating to my pain. There's a bunch of really good people here and it is highly appreciated.
    Everyone have a nice remainder of your day. I think I'm gonna go for a little day hike in a bit :)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Good to hear and you're welcome. I had a mild flare up last month and finally this month I have been moving pain free. I actually took my road bicycle out for a spin today. Way to go Brian!

Edit: Brian, I use a combination of colchicine and diclofenac and if I use them for a day or two at the most, then I can usually kill off any symptoms and be back to normal pretty quickly. I just hate using med's though

Norman Bradley

@normanb

Locale: New York

The last bad flare up I had, the doctor had to drain the knee. Wow did that help! Looked like cloudy pee. Anyway, I have not had a serious attack in maybe a year and a half, and have ceased my medication. Now I just get the odd kidney stone anywhere from "." this size to "O" this.

My worst was the very first. Must have had it for 4 or 5 weeks. Other attacks swelled up my knees causing the joints to separate enough to dislocate them when I walked. I went thru nearly 2 years on and off crutches and canes until I was able to fighuire out my protein intake threshold.

While my uric acid level does spike sometimes (I get a few warning signals) I have been able to keep it in check by changing my diet, limiting my protein intake and increasing my water intake.
    It does work for some people, I think I read about 10% or 12% of gout 'victims'. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones it does.
    Glad to hear the attacks for Brian and Ken have subsided. The pain is almost undescribable.

Ken, Vicodin, good stuff. Makes me loopy but really takes the pain away – but I use it for the stones not the gout. For gout attack I wind up with a shot in the leg that works about 8 to 12 hours. Then I just grit it out.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools