Topic

Lightweight Sleeping Pad Option For Winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lightweight Sleeping Pad Option For Winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I am going to be doing a bunch of ski touring this winter and was wondering what you all use for sleeping pads to sleeping on snow?

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Two systems I like depending on the trip:

Simple and Light but Bulky: Ridgerest deluxe trimmed to 15oz. This works well w/ my old Golite Gust pack which has enough volume to swallow the pad. Foolproof!

Heavy but Compact: Full length Z-Rest (14.4oz) plus BMW Torsolite (10.8oz). This works great with my Vapor Trail as the Torsolite rolls up inside very compactly, while the Z-Rest is a perfect fit on the pack’s strap system. The Z-rest is also a backup in case of a Torsolite puncture.

Neither of these systems is super light weight, but they’re both fuss-free and dependable for Winter. (Winter = 10-35 degrees in my neck of the woods.)

I’ve tried a Stephenson DAM (24oz) in the past and found it supremely warm and comfortable. But, it had a high fiddle factor, and I mistrusted it in case of puncture.

Inspired by Ryan’s SUL challange, I’m tempted to try to go lighter this coming season with some combination of Gossamer Gear pads.

PS – Need some boots?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools