Topic

Dreams of next season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Dreams of next season

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Mr. YOGI

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Jay,
    Where did you take the bear pics?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Dennis, That was at Thousand Island Lake. He ran right through the camp around 3:00. I had just cut a salami- he must of smelled it. He quickly ran up a ravine from there- Talk about a Athlete! Very quick and stealth.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thousand Island Lake- Yosemite NP

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Great photos. I figured it was YNP. When were you there?

I've seen tons of scat, lots of tracks, heard bears roar at sunrise and sunset, and once heard three growling as they circled Lake Winnefred and Spider Lake all night long, just north of Desolation Wilderness, in 1986. But I've only seen live bears twice. Once at Lost Lakes, along the PCT, south of Carson Pass,in 1995, and once in Table Land, on the border of Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP, in 2001. The only time I've ever had bears in camp was the time at Lost Lakes.

Many times,on the Lost Coast, there have been bears in other camps at Big Flat. We kept a clean camp and lined up our canisters just beyond our tents, hoping to get photos as they messed with the canisters. No luck. I think some bears have learned to recognize canisters, and look for treats elsewhere. The best tracks were of a Sow and two cubs, in the wet sand, on the Lost Coast.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools