Topic

Assistance Needed On Dog Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Assistance Needed On Dog Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bobby c

@bobbycartwright

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!

I couldn't find a thread that dealt with this issue so I hope I haven't overlooked one and am being repetitive.

I'm interested in doing a myog quilt for my dog. Here are a few tidbits which should give some insight as to what the applications will be:

-Quilt will be used in SE US, at temps ranging from 40's to upper teens during all seasons, up to 6000'.
    -Quilt will also double as an around camp cape for my dog. I will accomplish this with a few strategically placed velcro tabs, etc.
    -Desired length x width is 34"x28" (appx.86cm x 71cm). I have this figured out for certain, as I have a light fleece blanket which we use during the summer and it's roughly that size. Roughly a 30lb canine that's being covered up.
    -I can use a jacket as supplemental insulation over the quilt if need be in the lower ranges of temps.
    -My dog sleeps in my tarptent on a custom tailored piece of a Ridgerest mattress, but I have no desire to make a sleeve or any such device to attach the quilt to the pad. He's not a fitful sleeper.

My main interests are in insulation and fabric. I'm thinking I need to have a more supple, breathable fabric on the inside and a slightly tougher, mildly waterproof outer shell fabric. This is strictly for camp use and will never be used as a rain garment. Since I'm essentially making a rectangle this shouldn't be too hard. I have a crafty friend who sews very well so this shouldn't pose too much of a construction issue. I'm looking for affordability and it must be UL! Any ideas would be very appreciated.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

since dog's don't pass vapor through their skin would there be any reason to not use a coated fabric. Then if he/she walks though wet grass it won't soak the insulation.

Use climashield xp 5oz of combat 3.7oz.

any 1.1rip inside is fine, but i would do at least 70d rip for the outer as the pup won't treat it as nice as you do.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I've found that most dogs will try to shake off any blankets and such unless you either train them for it or it is well below 0F. A square of fleece for them to lay on seems to keep my dogs happiest and a cheap foam pad for a mat for snow camping.

My biggest complaint so far with camping with my dog has been that my sleeping bags end up needing washed if they end up against me during the night as they seem to brush off a lot of mud and wet dog smell.

Also, typical UL materials are NOT dog friendly. Even the heavy duty canvas commercial dog backpacks and such get worn out.

Your dog may vary but my experience has been that you simply can't teach a dog not to run through thorn bushes when they have gear on and the first thing my Australian shepherd does is jump in the water or roll around in wet snow if she can find it.

bobby c

@bobbycartwright

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!

Tim, I've seen the Climashield, is it about the best bet for what I intend to use it for? How well does that stuff compress down?

Joe, my pup is extremely obedient, and when we make camp, he's always so pooped that he lays down and doesn't move until supper's cooking. He stays under a blanket very well, and if anything I have to prod him to get him up on cold mornings. I also have my dog leashed 95% of the time on the trail, it's just the right thing to do for their safety, as well as the safety of other humans, dogs, plants, and wildlife around.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Compression isn't a good idea for synthetic insulation. I avoid it as much as possible. Most packs (even UL ones) are huge compared to the space needed for UL(<8# base)gear and food for under 5days. I like that because that extra space allows my insulation to be as uncompressed as possible keeping the loft longer.

Down however can be compressed into a tiny little ball (

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Check out http://www.dogcoat.com/index.php?id=3 I have had three dogs that wear these in all conditions and love them.(check my avatar) If nothing else these would give a good idea for a pattern, as the dart in the rear really helps keep the coat close to their butts. I have one coat that is on its second dog and still looks great 11 or so years later. Ken

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools