Topic

Novice bivyer needs bivy advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Novice bivyer needs bivy advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric Fredricksen
    BPL Member

@efredricksen

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm planning to ditch the tent and embrace the wide open outdoors with tarp + bivy next chance I get (probably Sierras or Cascades, Summer or shoulder). I'm still slightly bewildered by the choices but I've nearly settled on MLD Grace Solo tarp and the MLD Soul Bivy.

My question is, is the side zip version worth the extra ounce? No idea if I'll miss it if I don't have it.

Well, also, I have another question. I plan to leave the tarp in the bag if the weather looks agreeable. Is that what other folks do?

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Eric, scroll down about 15 threads. Almost exactly the same question was asked earlier today.

Rod

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Eric, I carry a light Bivy (6 oz.), it has a DWR top and waterproof bottom. and a tarp. I only employ the tarp if the weather looks like rain. Which even this year in the Cascades (around Seattle) I only used it a couple of times. All the rest I just used the Bivy. Last weekend it was 24* out full moon and no 0 chance of rain, I started out with only the Bivy. But because I had inadequate pad insulation I decided to go to the tarp, but it was unnecessary, see http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16189 for more information about that (if you have hours to read)

A Bivy is a great way to go fast and light.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Eric,

I just made the switch over to a bivy and tarp this year.

I have the MLD Soul Side Zip Bivy and the MLD Poncho/tarp.

Love my bivy and really like the convenience of having the side zip for ease of entry and exit and think that the extra ounce is well worth it. (When I wake up in the middle of the night and need to go pee on a squire, I want out fast!).

My friend has the same poncho/tarp, but uses the Super Light.

It really has many of the same critical features of the Soul Side Zip and is lighter and cost less than the Soul Bivy, making it worthy of your consideration.

Since my poncho tarp is my shelter and rain gear, I do take it all of the time.

Yes, the poncho tarp is a small tarp, but sleeping in the confines of a bivy, it seems plenty of room to keep my gear dry.

One thing I can say is that Ron makes really great stuff that shows a clear attention to detail.

One of the pleasant benefits of moving to a bivy is that I have been able to go to a lighter sleeping bag because of the extra warmth that the bivy provides to my sleeping system.

Hope that this helps.

-Tony

Eric Fredricksen
    BPL Member

@efredricksen

Locale: Silicon Valley

Didn't spot the other thread in time! At least this thread topic isn't as popular as "why use a windshirt?" which I've seen asked several times after I did, and probably had been many times before that.

In any case, thanks for the feedback, T & T. Still don't know what I'll choose but I think either will work out fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools