Topic

Hi to all

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'm not too sure where to put this, because there seems to be no category for introductions. After a couple of years of lurking, I finally bit the bullet and subscribed. I'm afraid that I got a bit carried away today and did quite a few posts and reviews in threads that I badly wanted to reply to when I was lurking. I normally don't post that much at a time!

I live in Oregon with the Columbia River Gorge almost in my back yard. I have 66 years' backpacking and horsepacking experience (started at age 6), nearly all of it in the Rockies or the Pacific Northwest. Don't scoff at the horses; horsepacking requires the same skills as backpacking and a lot more besides. It's also a lot more work! It's like taking out a bunch of 2-year-olds, where each one weighs about 1200 lbs. and can kick and bite really hard. That was a long time ago when we'd meet someone maybe once a week, mostly near roads, and there wasn't enough traffic to make trail damage an issue. I wouldn't want to take horses out on backcountry trails now.

I did not, unfortunately, discover all this wonderful lightweight gear until about 4-5 years ago. Shopping at REI and reading "Backpacker," you'd never know it exists! I'm still working at lightening my load, so I can go out for longer periods. I'm down to a 14 lb. base weight and would like to cut it a little more. Not ultralight, though–at my age there are some comforts that I can't give up without incurring considerable pain, like a cushy air mattress.

I see some familiar names here from other forums, where I'm known as OregonMouse or grannyhiker. I'm glad I finally joined you here!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Welcome, Granny!

After two ACL knee reconstructions, I pray that I'm still hiking at 66 + 6!

Congrats on lowering your baseweight.

Todd

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Welcome Granny. Please feel free to ask us questions. I am glad that you are still enjoying hiking. Hope this new style opens alot of doors for you!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Welcome!!! Granny to a excellent website. Lots of great people and great information.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools