Topic

Cattail Down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cattail Down

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Does anyone have any experience using cattail down for insulation? Apparently it used to be used to stuff life jackets and is good to stuff in your coat/shirt for emergency insulation so I'm wondering if anyone has tried to make insulating garments or sleeping systems out of it.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

This is taught in Airforce survival training. One of my
    friends stuffed a pillow with it not knowing it had spider
    eggs in it. When they hatched, he had a pillow full of
    baby spiders.

The Colville Indians of Eastern Washington used to weave
    sleeping bags of cattail reeds and stuff them with the down.
    They didn't have a plentiful supply of thick furred game
    animals (buffalo etc.) to use for insulation in the winter.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I'm glad someone brought this up. I think of this everytime I see a bunch of cattails on the river. I just write it off as a crazy thought and forget about it. So, techies, what's the fill power of this stuff???

steve suppes

@ssuppes

Locale: Midwest

Fyi, I'm sure you guys know this but cattail fluff is highly flammable. It makes great tinder. A quick spark sets it on fire. Good for making fires, but I wouldn't necessarily want something stuffed with it if i was near a crackling fire. Obviously if it's a survival situation and you needed to use it to stay warm it would be better than nothing. Any type of dead material, leaves etc… can be used to stuff clothing to add insulation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools