Topic

My newbie list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My newbie list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

I've camped from a car in the wilderness having driven off-road but now embark by foot.

This spreadsheet shows my list

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p46dpS8rZzzYavPlxwrVGSg&t=1688217586452688823&guest

I think…

It is a shade under 24lbs without food and water. In the spreadsheet is a calculator that adds more food and water dependent upon number of travelers (if sharing) and number of days… as well as the availability of water and it's consequences.

How does it look?

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I couldn't access it.

John Davis

@billybooster

A. B.

@tomswifty

Easy changes, ditch:

>> Emergency blanket (use your groundsheet)
    >> Candle lantern (use your head lamp)
    >> Emergency kit (what's it got that you don't already carry?)
    >> A shirt or two (you have three listed)

Tougher choices (style/money):

>> Pad; get a foam pad for half the weight
    >> Purification; go chemical
    >> Shelter; go tarp

Also, you list the REI Half Dome at 40 ounces? Isn't it more like 80?

John Davis

@billybooster

REI half is if i go with another soul….. good info thanks – keep it coming….

christopher shive

@cms432

Locale: Along the AT in PA

Here are my observations. Keep in mind that I'm relatively new to this lightweight stuff myself.

12 ounces worth of stuff sacks seems like a lot….maybe use plastic baggies to keep organized. If you lighten your load, you shouldn't have a need to compress your gear to fit it in you Z-55. Especially if your trip is only a day and a half.

Your kitchen is heavy, primarily the 9 ounce cookpot and the 14 ounce fuel can. Lots of lighter options here.

I think 3 ounces of toilet paper is overkill for a day and a half for two people. Not much, but maybe you can save an ounce here?

Possibly ditch the packtowel, replace it with a bandana, or cut it in half and get by with a 2 ounce packtowel.

For a headlamp, I like to use the Photon Freedom with a hat clip. Not the best for night walking, but for around camp and in the tent it is plenty of light and only weighs half an ounce.

You could also lighten up on the pocket knife. A Victorinox Classic has a blade and scissors for under an ounce. Do you need all the additional gizmos?

John Davis

@billybooster

I think I'll try the suggestions and way again :)

Ryan Dunne

@donryanocero

Locale: Humboldt

did you cut the handle off your toothbrush? :-P

After you go out a few times you'll figure out what your 'dead weight' is. One thing i've seen a lot of people do is carry way more water than they need, which is a lot of weight! A lot of the lightweight gear is pretty cheap, the main exception being down gear, so lightening up doesn't have to cost a lot. You probably have stuff sitting around the house, just check out some of the MYOG and multi-use threads.

Have fun.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

My gear list is in constant evolution. A few years ago I was carrying 65lbs. I found this site and read feverously asked many questions and my gear list evolved. I paired down to 25lbs for a 7 day trip. I felt very comfortable – and could cover more miles. E-bay is your friend for all of your old gear. Buy the "bible" on this site (Lightweight Backpacking and Camping) the transition is as much technique as it is gear.
    Start with the big three: tent, sleeping system and backpack. Then go for the small stuff- kitchen, clothing, survival – and ditties.

Now, after recently going on an off trail bushwhacking trip – I learned about on-person survival gear and redundancy. (Not lightweight).
    So, I guess my advice would be to evaluate each trip you are planning. What are the weather extremes for the time of year? Do you have enough layers to keep you warm when you stop hiking, or do you have to climb into your sleeping bag as soon as you get into camp? Are you on established trails? Will there be water sources available each day? Can you make a fire/shelter if you lose your pack? Are there buggout points on the trail if there is an emergency?
    Lightweight makes hiking easier, just make sure you are still having fun.

Dave

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

john, i didn't pull up your list, but was looking at some of the suggestions of how to lighten up. the tarp thing is ok as long as you don't live in a place such as minnesota where i live. (skeeters and alot of rain) (you don't give your location) most of the other suggestions were good ones. it's amazing, how with just a few suggestions, you can shave off oz. thus pounds….

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Depending on conditions, your clothes can be trimmed a minimum of 8oz.
    -The cotton shirt can feel really comfortable, but not when sandwiched against a backpack.
    -Zip shorts only seem useful if you really need both pants and shorts. Do you have a simpler option w/o zip, pockets, etc.?
    -"longjohns?" I am picturing waffle weave cotton. Not helpful.
    -Socks. Are they for a change, extra insulation, or a spare?

John Davis

@billybooster

Well I take on board the clothing… the sox are extras, the longjohns are just warm long leg underwear for nites/ and or cold walk…cotton shirt ditched – it was simply there to look out of place :) I could wear cotton jeans to walk in but they're too heavy and sweaty! Zipoffs are light (in comparison) and the only green clothing i own.

I ditched the emergency blanket and the MSR water filter – I can use tabs/droppers for that.

I made an alcy stove that works well – so my kitchen weight includes both fuel and stove setups for MSR AND alcy…. I'm not sure I trust it yet! Or the bottle with the alcohol! So there are both forms of cooking but that can be shaved too. I'm down to 18.5lb excl water and food.

Any more ideas – and thank you all for contributing :)

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

If you haven't done it yet, an evening with a drill, file, and seam ripper (or razor) can work wonders. Really fun too.

"Not to be removed accept by consumer," should be read as, "To be removed by savvy consumer." Clothes are more comfortable without tags, etc. Most inner facing on garments is there to look good on the rack. Even shoes have all kinds of extra material, especially on the front. That mesh and visual-structural goop is usually on top of very sturdy taffeta. (Take apart a spent pair first.)

This snippet from another thread seems relevant:
    "The general leak sequence pattern I experienced for all of my windshirts was 1) ++++++ the zipper, 2) ++++ the wash instructions and hang loop at the neck…"

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/8304/index.html?skip_to_post=59842#59842

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools