Topic

Gear Weight Website

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedOct 15, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Hey All,

I finally had some free time on my hands and made site where we can post weights of our gear. Its similar to weight weenies for those who bike.

Check it out at:
http://weightwimp.com/

Feel free to leave comments, suggestions, questions either here or on the google groups page for weightwimps.

PostedOct 15, 2008 at 6:54 pm

I'm into it! I'm into bikes and am very familiar with the weight weenies site.

This is exciting. Thanks!

you might want to add a tab for year (the montbell down inner for example, changes weight every year). perhaps a tab to account for customizations?

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedOct 15, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Brendan, I commend this effort. I hope we can get some realistic numbers. I've found some manufactures that report gear dead on (i.e. Montbell) and others that I have trimmed to death and still weigh more than advertised.

Jamie

PostedOct 16, 2008 at 3:17 pm

I found this website for inputing and calculating your pack weight a month or two ago.

http://www.chrisibbeson.com/index.html

I thought this website kind of went along with the idea of an online source for gear weight. Your idea of having an online source for the weight of gear is great.

PostedOct 17, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback!


@Justin
I've added a Year field for products as requested. I plan to do more with the accounts/profiles in the future.

Eventually I would like to have gear lists so someone could list there whole pack or create theoretical ones from other reviews.

Now we just need more people contributing reviews so the site will become more useful.

PostedOct 19, 2008 at 2:09 am

Great tool. Some manufacturers are guilty of being 'economical' with the truth. I'll add some weights later.
Any chance of giving the weights in grams as well?

PostedOct 19, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Dunno how easy or worthwhile it would be, but prolitegear.com has alot of weights for different gear. They weigh it themselves.

REI used to list many weights, but I think they take the word of the manufacturers many times.

PostedOct 20, 2008 at 11:49 am

@Mike if you click the 'ounces' link at the top right of the page it will automatically convert everything to grams. Perhaps I should make this a little more obvious?


@Paul
that would be great to have the prolite weights, maybe I can partner with them to get all their weights or I may just enter them by hand when I get some more time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...