Anyone else out there wear size 14+ feet and have as much trouble as I do getting a good weight/size/fit/price? Any advice? Any beta? Any good Frodo jokes? So far I've found some Vasque and Inov8s will work but I'm looking for one shoe to rule them all and very few stores here in the DC area stock big sizes.
Topic
Sasquatch feet
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
There is a gentlemen on these forums known as Brett P. He also suffers from gigantisism of the feet, and apparently it also effects the length of his arms (according to the BPL support section)…he will be your go-to guy for all things enourmous and ultralight. :)
I wear a size 14 also and barely fit into XL gloves.
I've had Northface and Vasque trail runners. I use BOA systems so can't comment on traditional lace shoes.
New Balance has big sizes but not sure in relation to hiking.
Yea I got the x large hands as well, tnf shoes are a good idea I see them everywhere. Never knew if I could trust them since they sell them at the mall. I say all us big foot americans should go walk around barefoot in the back country of oregon and leave lots of footprints. We could stage a bigger hoax the the bigfoot in the freezer incident.
How to I find Brett P my large peded brother.
I don't mean to be slightly big and tall. Actually I wear regular pants, it is just that I have a long torso. And no, I don't play basketball, just futball. With a wingspan like mine you can really defend a goal.
What shoes are you looking at? You are pretty much going to have to srew lightweight on the shoes as find a pair that fit and work for you will be the toughest part. There really is no one shoe that will 'rule them all' as it is but if you let me know more for what you are looking for, I can point you better. For hikers I would suggest the Keen Targee II Mid. Waterproof, comfortable and comes in a size 15-17 so you can wear wool socks underneath. Zappos.com has some in stock. For vented trail runners try to find an old pair of Vasque Lightspeeds in a size 14. It is also a good idea to find a local shoe/luggage repair shop that will stretch your shoes an extra 1/4 to 1/2 size. It is also a good idea to find yourself a Backpacker Gear Guide that they put out every spring because they do list a lot of shoes in there and the sizes they go up to.
Rick,
I forgot to mention that The North face Trail runners seem to be less durable than some others like the Vasque's. My old TNF pair finally succumbed to a rocky trail and the soles were shredded, pieces coming off, the toe box rubber seperating.
I recently went on a rocky trail with my friend and his brand brand new never used north face trail runners were losing pieces of rubber and getting huge gashes from day 1.
My Vasque Aethertech SS's saw some similar gashes, but they held up better overall.
I glue loose toebox rubber or gashes up with epoxy and that seems to work.
Now for smooth trails or some road running TNF FireRoad BOA's look like sweet shoes.
Just a thought.
I sport size 14 flippers myself, and yes, finding footwear was a pain. I had stumbled and bumbled with a pair of Merrell's – which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. After falling into the trap of all the exchanges regarding Inov-8 on this site, I picked up a pair of the RocLite 318GTX. As many have said, Invo-8's run small and they felt tight when I tried them on. Fairly quickly, however, they broke in and are very comfortable. These are very lightweight shoes, they almost feel like slippers. They have a fairly lug sole which is seemingly tacky. It holds a grip well and feel good on my feet. I'm a tough fit, so I'm happy with my purchase. My only wonder is whether they will hold up as they are so lightweight and so confortable that I can't wrap my mind around whether they are durable.
I'm roughly 6'6" and 275, depending on health, exercise, change in my pockets, etc. So if you suffer from larger than average body parts elsewhere and want me to fill you in on what works for me from packs, shelters, clothing, etc., shoot me an IM and I'll run you through my trials and errors and my wife can explain to you that my son's college fund was burned away in return shipping costs for most stuff.
Good luck.
I'm only slightly big and tall myself, I'm only 6'1.I'm also long torso'ed, monkey armed with canoe feet. I'm very stable when holding still.
I've been wondering about those keen targees, (I wear keen austins size 14 at work and they're a little tight)I've never tries a pair of 15's. Sounds like a good solution. I read the gear guide religiously and I never put it together in my head that they show the sizes available, and zappos ships free both ways, right?
Light bulb appears over my head!
Speaking of Backpacker, what do they mean by high volume feet?
I'll be trying out some new shoes soon and I'll post my finds. Thanks for the beta.
Stuart,
I was looking at those fireroads myself ( I need road and trail shoes), very lite and likley to be on clearance somewhere soon since tnf is everywhere. I like to get my shoes cheap and destroy them. um that's what she said… I was looking at vasque aethertech as well, I'm a fan of vasque and their lasts usually fit me. How do you like them?
New balance is always a good fit also for 14/15s and they do make some trail runners. They may not hold up the greatest but they do tend to fit the best and your feet will know the difference. They are a bit pricey but someone, somewhere is always having a sale on them.
I have a pair of Merrell 14's Mid Pulse GTX in a tan with some any wear on them. $20 OBO.
Wow James you're the same length as a long sleeping bag, good luck with that. Let me guess a big agness? Or is it a quilt? Isn't the weight penalty we pay for being long and tall a bummer. Can't use a bmw torso lite pad, pant's and shoes weigh a ton, I have an old pair of merrell's too. Those monsters literally weigh more then my three man tarp tent. God bless you Henry Shires.
I like the inov8's as well, I have a review on the Inov8 RocLite 315 on this site. Hey central va have you done overall run falls in SNP, its very cool.
Brett you got a pic of those?
This is another brand I see everywhere but have never tried, you're right they're always on sale.
No camera but they are more like a 14.3 since I have had them stretched. Just pay the $20 and $5 shipping and if you don't like them, just pay the shipping back and I will refund the $20. They are really not bad but my feet have grown a little and widened out in the last few years so that I can not use them.
There might be a pair of Goretex Merrell trail runners up along with that soon.
Get them at Zappos and see what size fits you before you order the sale ones. NB is pretty good about keeping their sizes across shoes pretty standard unlike some shoe companies.
And don't forget some Chaco sandals which are on sale just about everywhere right now. Get the really thick grip on the bottom and they will last you 7+ years. A good replacement for trail runners down to about 40F if you never run because you can walk through streams and such when it is warm and put a warm sock on when it is cold or a liner sock to keep the mosquitoes out.
And Chaco is supposed to have their size 15 hiking boot out next year with a replaceable sole on them like the sandals.
Yup, I'm as tall as a long bag – and I'll just go ahead and say there is a huge discrepancy between how manufacturers measure their stuff because a long (6'6") varies in actual length (and weight for that matter) between manufacturers. I wear a 52XXL jacket, so usually it is the width on bags that beat me up as plenty of slighter folks do just fine. For me, I use a WM Caribou Long as a quilt or a custom eVENT bag I had made for me by Feathered Friends. I use a couple different pad options from Gossamer Gear, and no, the torso-size doesn't work as they are like a postcard under my back.
In case you were wondering, I use a modified (extra 40" of spinn fabric) Spinntwinn tarp or the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. I sport one of several packs, but usually my ULA-Equipment or a Tim Marshall custom (BPL member) make the trip. Pants are GoLite, which oddly enough fit despite the fact that nothing else they sell does, and everything else on my body is either SmartWool or Merino under another name. My little head is covered by a Tilly or GoLite hat. I have a pair of Rab eVENT pants for the rain and a light GoreTex Paclite from Cabella's for rain, but it's all overkill. They work well in snow though without any extra gear. Trekking poles usually are long enough…as long as they are adjustable.
And yes, us bigger folks suffer with heavier things merely because there is more fabric involved. Apparently Glen VanPeski (Gossamer Gear) and Ryan Jordan (BPL editor) constantly have this debate as VanPeski is 6'4" and he doesn't think it's fair to play the "who's lightest game" with Ryan when his gear, even if the exact same, will weight more because he is taller.
And yes, I've done Overall Falls as well as quite a few others here in VA. Fortunately I live about 30 minutes from the park and other very nice hikes, so I've been lucky to see most of the best options in VA. Unfortunately, I don't own a private jet to make it outside of VA, so I often get stuck in the green tunnel.
James, Gotta feel for you! My husband wears a XXL Tall in everything. If he doesn't he looks like I shrunk his clothes :-P It is so hard to get gear that fits him – to be long enough, wide enough and as well fit his monster torso.
Mostly we wait for the super clearance at the Seattle REI store – when suddenly the tall garments show up that you couldn't seem to get anywhere else.
For shoes, Zappos is the only way when buying online!
But hey….you tall guys do realize that some ladies love looking at you? ;-)
I thought they were looking up at the nose hairs since it is one of those views you usually don't get.
Lol……a good reason to invest into a trimmer? hehheh…..
My husband is a foot taller than me, he complains that my pack weight is fake low due to being shorter ;-)
If not "at", definitely "up". Nice website by the way. I've referenced it many times.
Just go back from looking at dress shoes of all things, that was an adventure. I did find some size 15 rattlesnake skin loafers. No kidding. That was one big snake. My wife talked me out of them, she's got no taste. I tried on some shoes while in the mall, New balance and nike size 15 both fit decently but nothing magic. You should see these dress shoes, I think they used a whole cow.
I actually found a pair of dress 14s one time that were the pointy shoe kind and had the rattlesnake inlay with the silver tips and heels. Damn, if only Elvis were still alive today. They were the special kind that you only brought out at funerals and weddings.
Become a member to post in the forums.

