Topic

Ever used Westmark Corp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ever used Westmark Corp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Has anyone ever ordered fabric from Westmark Corp? I am thinking of taking the plunge and ordering some 100yd rolls of uncoated and sil 1.1rip for my gear making enjoyment.

I just wonder if their sil coated is quality and their uncoated comfortable and breathable for sleeping gear.

-Tim

David Wills

@willspower3

I've gotten some samples from them before a while back. I was looking at some of their super cheap stuff that was about $1/yd. 1.1 oz uncoated groundsheet was the name of one of the fabrics. It was heavily miscolored, but a high quality nylon, and very cheap. I decided against that due to the coloring though. I also sampled a coated taffeta that was about 2.5 oz/yd. It was quality, but not what I was looking for to make ultralight gear. Have you gotten any price quotes from them? I would love to compare them to bulk purchases from OWF Inc.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tim

Every manufacturer I know is terribly secretive about their sources for silnylon. I think all (or most of) the silnylon OWFINC sells by the yard comes from Westmark in those 100 yard rolls. I buy my rolls of silnylon from Westmark too.

Uncoated fabric is another matter: there are many more sources for that. The Westmark stuff seems pretty good, and is the base for the silnylon. However, there are other slightly lighter ources – at a price.

Say Hi to Debbie there for me.

Cheers

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Bellow is the reply from my inquiry. I will be asking about their closeouts as well.

For sil i think unless the sample is much better i will stick with OWFINC 2nds at <$4.50yd for bulk of 20yd or more.

"Dear Mr. Marshall,

If you are purchasing full bolts(100yds per color), I can sell to you.

The uncoated is currently $3.98 per yard and the coated is $5.05 per yard.

I will get samples out for you.

Best regards,
    Michael Baker"

David, could you describe the finish on the "ground sheet" material? What is it's water resistance?

-Tim

David Wills

@willspower3

the 1.1 groundcover has a DWR coating on it and is breathable. I would rank it's water resistance pretty close to standard 1.1 if not the same. Certainly no Momentum though, but what do you expect for $1/yd

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i just got my samples today and everything looks good.

They have some navy 30d sil on closeout for $3yd (in 100yd roll) that looks very nice!

Also, i really like the ground cover material. The stuff i got was an olive green and the color looked good throughout. I think this may work for all the quilts i make. I am considering it, except it comes on 200yd rolls instead of 100, so it'll still cost me a bit on the front end, but saves a lot overall.

-Tim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools