Topic

Packing an MLD Prophet

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedOct 10, 2008 at 7:52 am

HI guys! I've done a bunch of dayhiking and a handful of overnighters, but in 3 weeks I'll be going w/ 2 buds for a 3-day section near Hot Springs.

I recieved a UL pack in the Jason Klass Backpacking box (http://www.freewebs.com/thebackpackingbox/index.htm) and y-day found out its a homemade version of a MLD Prophet pack (2750 cu in, 6 oz) (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com…703802d2f4f0aa).

I've pack it with my gear and walked around the house some,and it was OK. I was not using any sort of pad inside (use a BA Air Core to sleep on), but my sleeping bag and clothes were in tight enough that it felt secure, and not floppy.

W/out food or water the pack is 13.6 lbs with maybe 600 cubes left in the top for a food bag.

I'm a bit apprehensive and wonder if I'm doing this right.

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedOct 14, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Jarod, I don't own a prophet so please take the advice of someone who does more seriously then me…but I'm going to say 13+ pounds base weight is too much. Lets see if… its 3 full days you will carry 20 oz/day of food (probably more like 24 oz unless you pack carefully) x 3 days for 60-72 ounces + another 16 to 64 ounces in water. Thats around another 6 …lets say 7 pounds with some stove fuel. So we are at 20 to maybe as much as 24 pounds at the heavy point. Now yes it will be a lot less by the third day, but you will also be more tired. If it was 13 pounds total including food and water I would say you are ok.

MLD's sight suggests using the prophet with sub 8 pound base weight…which makes total sense. And consider you are not using an actual MLD pack but a homemade version.

Another consideration is distance and elevation change. If you aren't gaining much elevation and the distance is short…say 10 miles/day you can get by with much less comfort. Regardless I prefer comfort when walking and I have found that wearing a pack around the house it needs to feel "fantastic", cant even tell Im wearing it..etc…not "OK". Ok can turn into uncomfortable after just a few miles.

OK enough preaching on why it wont work… how to get the most out of it. I think you really need a smooth solid surface across your back and a tight structure. I would recommend using a GG thinlight pad rolled up and dropped into the pack to create a structure then pack your gear inside. Also if you can drop about 5 lbs life will be golden (I'm kinda surprised you can get 13 lbs of gear into ~1700 cu inches (main body)…while im thinking about).

I most certainly could be wrong, but I would hate to spoil a weekend with the buds by using an awesome pack with just too heavy a load.

I'd be interested in anyone else opinions who owns a prophet because I'm considering buying a new one, but have a base weight from 4 to 6 pounds.

Jamie

jim bailey BPL Member
PostedOct 14, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Jarod,
Jamie is on target with the base weight, Prophet is best used with a 6-8 lb base. Used this pack exclusively weekends, 3 and 4 day hikes starting mid May going through Sept. as my pack of choice before switching out with a Jam pack in northern NE.

Heaviest weight carried was around 16-17lbs range and worked but without using a hipbelt noticed the difference at the end of long days. Heavier loads would also recommend a sit pad or sleeping pad folded/perforated for back comfort.

Shoulder padding on an original MLD pack is of the highest caliber and can handle the weight if a hip belt, possibly padded could be added it would give more stability with higher weight distribution & would recommend modifying this if possible.

Something to consider if you try to go with this pack for your outing.

Good luck on this one
Jim

PostedOct 15, 2008 at 6:20 am

Firstly I don't have the Prophet (yet), but I do have the models below and above it… a Revelation and a standard Zip. Ron obviously tests his packs quite thoroughly before they hit the market. I can tell you that his recommended weight limits are right on. I have a 3 season base of 3 pounds and can load my Revelation with up to 13 pounds (recommended weight) with comfort for 4 days with food, fuel, and water… beyond that weight it's very uncomfortable. Same idea with the Zip. You may be able to carry the extra weight for a short time around the house, but it's a different story once out on the trail for days.

PostedOct 20, 2008 at 1:57 pm

As far as packing it, I was only getting my clothes and sleeping bag into the main bag (and the food bag too). With tarp, Ti cookset and everything else in the big ext. pocket.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...