Topic

Help Storing Gossamer Gear Pads in Jam2

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedOct 8, 2008 at 7:38 pm

I just purchased a Gossamer Gear Torso Pad and Thin Light full length sleeping pad, and sit pad.

The foam pad is really "sticky"/difficult to slip into my Jam2 pack.

Anyone found a way to deal with this issue so that it easy to slip it into a pack and not have it "stick" to other gear that is slipped into the pack next to the pad?

I was thinking of making a simple Silnylon cover bag with a draw string at the top to store the pads.

My thought is that the Silnylon would be much easier to slide into my Jam2 and to store things next to it.

Yes, it would add a few ounces to my setup, but I am going from a 1 lb 8 oz Prolight 4 to a pad that totals 7.5 ounces, so I don't mind a ounce or two for the convince of easy storage/packing.

Rough Measurements of the bag that I would need would be 22" High X 13" Wide X 6" Deep/Wide.

Any thoughts on this design and where I can buy Silnylon for this project?

P.S. This would be my first MYOG.

-Tony

Note: I posted a similar/duplicate post in the MYOG section.

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedOct 9, 2008 at 9:21 am

Roger,

Thank you for the links.

I checked them out and interestingly, Thur-Hiker seems to have a $12 kit for sewing stuff bags.

I think that that kit alone might have enough fabric, cordlocks, and cord to sew a storage bag for the GG pads.

Again, really appreciate everyone's feed back.

Love this site!

-Tony

PostedOct 9, 2008 at 10:01 am

Maybe you can make the silnylon bag multi-use and use it for bear-bagging food at night when you don't need it, or add some thin straps and use it for day hikes from basecamp if you do those type of trips.

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedOct 9, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Tony, I just got back from a trip using a Jam2 with GG 3/8" pad inside. My thinlight was full length but I have trimmed it to 38" inches. Yes I do find the thinlight to be "sticky". I dont fold mine against my back I use it as a roll dropping it into the pack. When I go to pack the Jam2 everything is out of it because at night I empty the pack and set it under my legs for insulation (hence the reason my thinlight is only 38" long). So with the pack empty I tightly roll the thinlight and drop it into the pack. Being this tight it does not hit the sides. I unroll the coil pressing it against the sides of the pack. It takes a bit of pressure to get the pad fully unrolled enough to fill the sides. The idea is to line the sides with the uncoiled pad adding structure to the pack.

Next I drop in my sleeping bag+down jacket (in a stuff sack). I drop in 2 more stuff sacks, one with food and one with shelter and clothes. The stuff sacks slide in easily. Into the back pocket goes misc items bag, days trails food, and a rain jacket. The side pockets hold water platy and fuel bottle. In this way I dont have any problems getting items out during the day or at night when I unpack.

Jamie

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedOct 9, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Jamie,

Thanks for your detailed reply on how you store your pad in the Jam2.

I will have to try it, but one problem that I think that I will run into is that my GG Torso Pad folds into three sections.

It really does not roll up to create a round barrel design.

I might be able to adapt your method so that the middle section is against my back and the other two are "opened" up to press against the left and right sides of the inside of the pack's main compartment.

At first, I tried to fold up the torso pad into a three layered sandwich and then rolled the 1/8" thin light around the folded up torso pad.

Unfortunately, that turned into a pretty thick package and there was no way that I could fit an "evil" bear vault into my Jam2 with the pad getting in the way.

I was able to put the folded torso pad into a garbage bag and side it into the pack…again, trouble with the bear vault fitting in.

The 1/8" thin light I simply rolled up and strapped to the outside of the Jam2 along the side with the two buckle straps.

In some ways, maybe it would have been better to go with your 3/8 roll pad and strap it outside the Jam2.

Just when I think that I was done buying gear!!! :)

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback and will see what I can come up with.

Anyone with other thoughts on how to fit a bear vault and these foam pads into the Jam2?

P.S. The UrSack fit in fine with the GG Pads…evil bear vault!

-Tony

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedOct 9, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Pam said:
> add some thin straps and use it for day hikes from basecamp

Yes indeed. I reinforced the corners of one of my larger stuff sacks and added small loops. Add a bit of 1/4" wide flat nylon cord I have a UL day pack for quick side trips. As I was already carrying the stuff sack for other things, the additional weight for a day pack is just the few grams of cord needed.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...