Topic

Gossamer Gear Lightrek 3 Trekking Pole Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Gossamer Gear Lightrek 3 Trekking Pole Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Paul Cronshaw

@beemancron

Locale: Southwest US

Nia,

Picture a 1" rubber stopper with a bolt in the middle. A very simple, yet robust design. A couple of twists and the sections are "fused" together.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I haven't paid attention to the GG poles because I have to have adjustable poles–the length I need for hiking is shorter than what is needed for my shelters. The advent of the adjustables made these look more interesting. However, in an email Grant of GG told me that they would not offer wrist straps as an option. Unfortunately, I require the straps for medical reasons. Before I retired, my 10-12 hour days at the computer led to severe and very painful carpal tunnel syndrome. I avoided surgery only by taking early retirement (I had other, more pressing reasons, for that). Since retirement, I haven't had any problems–except when I have to grip something for extended periods. With trekking poles, I put full weight on the strap, which doesn't seem to bother my wrist joints. I hardly grasp the pole grips at all. My hand is around the grip, but it is almost completely relaxed. With even the lightest strapless poles, the lack of straps would mean that I'd have to grip the pole harder just to keep it from falling out of my hand.

Claims that non-adjustable poles are better and that straps aren't necessary should therefore be tempered a bit, IMHO. Not all of us can use either feature (or, from my point of view, the lack of them).

I'm just hoping that Titanium Goat will get their poles going again so I can get similar weight poles with straps. They have been out of stock for what seems a long time.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools