Topic

Suggestions for Camera Case for DSLR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Suggestions for Camera Case for DSLR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have a friend who has a Olympus E520 with two large lens, one a wide angle and a zoom. Lens & DSLR Body measure 8 inches.

Any suggestions for a camera carrying system/case where the camera is outside of the pack and therefore accessible for taking quick shots?

Ryan Dunne

@donryanocero

Locale: Humboldt

Yeah I'm looking for a lightweight chest-mount pouch that will fit my XTi with 17-40L. I ordered a lowepro one, but it ended up weighing a lot more than it said on the website.

I just want to be able to keep my camera ready with trekking poles, but don't want it bouncing all over the place.

I've seen straps that keep it against the body, anyone try something like this?

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Not a case exactly, but I used a zing action cover:

It weighs about 6 oz. The idea is to use the neck strap and the case has an elastic strap that holds it tight to your chest.

It worked reasonably well, but after long (10+) hour days my back started to hurt. I've since gone to a much lighter camera.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I've seen straps that keep it against the body, anyone try something like this?

Like this?

Camera case

It's very simple – stiff back, soft front, and velcro flap. Adjustable neck strap and adjustable waist strap. I made it so I could keep my camera inside my parka, where it might, hopefully, be just a bit warmer than outside in the sub-zero air. Battery life and all that.

Cheers

Ryan Dunne

@donryanocero

Locale: Humboldt

Yeah, I think I'm going to try one of these, but I imagine it will be a pretty big comfort trade off. I'm thinking to keep it tight it has to constrict natural breathing. Maybe It'll mount higher like a chest strap…

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=workaround.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=39643&is=REG

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

How high I have it is controlled by the adjustment on the neck strap. Small cam buckle from OWFINC.
    I didn't have to keep it so tight that it had any effect on my breathing.
    Caution: this arrangement works fine in the cold, but I find it too hot in the summer – much too hot.

Cheers

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Tony, I've had good luck with this SYSTEM.

Since your friend wants to carry other lenses, I know that ThinkTank sells a modular lens cases as well. Overall, I'm really happy with their products.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

On behalf of my friend, Jeff, I wanted to say thank you to everyone with their quick responses and great advice.

I have passed the link on to my friend, Jeff….maybe one of these days I will get him to create an account.

As it is, I have been slowly poisoning his mind with UL ideas. :)

-Tony

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools