Topic

What is your favorite lightweight stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is your favorite lightweight stove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Sasha Rice

@rice

I am currently using a esbit stove which has been modified to be much lighter while acting as a windshield which weighs around 2.5 ounces. I am looking for a stove that can take its place. I only use the stove to boil water in a Snowpeak Trek Titanium Bowl (Around 1.7 oz). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what new stoves I should look at.

John Chan

@ouroboros

I’m using a Red Bull can open jet stove with a foil heat reflector base and a windscreen/pot holder I fashioned from 6″ wide aluminum flashing.

Stove – 8 g
    Windscreen/ pot holder – 20 g
    Foil – 2 g
    2 titanium pegs (slot through the windscreen) – 15 g

Total kit (minus pot) – 45 g or roughly 1.5 oz

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I use a homemade stove just like the mini bull designs elite

works great, and dont need a pot stand.

also see the presurized SST and stealth stoves.

MBD store

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

There are quite a few good alcohol stove choices. I like the SuperCat alcohol stove, and I think your pot will be wide enough to use it well. It’s .2oz for the stove, and I add another .3oz for foil windscreen and ground reflector. No stand or thinking required, which is nice.
    -Mark

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I LOVE my homemade esbit setup. LOVE it. Total system weight (weighed as a whole) including the pot, lid, grabber, everything… is 62 grams, 2.18 oz… not counting the tent stakes I use as a pot support. Here are the specs when I weigh each peice:

Pot (Heineken Jumbo Can): 27 grams
    Pot Grabber (Made from wire coat hanger): 13 grams
    Windscreen / Stand (Made from 0.004″ aluminum cookie sheet): 10 grams
    Esbit burner cup (bottom of V8 can): 2 grams
    Lid w/ handle (Top from the beer can with paper clip handle): 6 grams
    Elastic Band + plastic bag (for packing): 2 grams

A nice addition to this setup for not too much more weight would be a refectix cozy for those who like hot drinks.

I tried the FireFly and other alcohol stoves before switching to Esbit. I find alcohol is a pain and often ineffective. I hike on the east coast and it’s often cool and brezzy and alcohol just doesn’t cut it… won’t boil the water… flames out before boil… blows out really easy… doesn’t burn very hot… plus all the fuss of carrying the stuff… dosing… priming… etc. Pain in the butt compared to Esbit. Esbit burns hot and long… it has almost twice the BTU’s for half the weight… tons of wiggle room for cool windy conditions… etc… you can even keep a hard boil going for 5 mins or so if you want to cook something in the pot. As for the soot… I just have a cut down plastic bag that covers the bottom of my pot when it’s all packed up. As for smell… I’ve never noticed it.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

David,
    I have a pot made from a 24oz energy drink can, but anyway you dont need the pot grabber. I use a pair of fleece gloves when removing the pot from the stove (elite) and dont burn myself

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Thanks Ryan, I actually don’t usually carry gloves though… unless it’s very late in the fall.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Here is a forum I posted on my cook kit a wile back

Ultralight Cook Kit

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

David:

I kinda remember your earlier thread about the wire pot grabber. As my admitedly shaky memory goes, you were going to post photos and instructions after you got the bugs worked out. Did I miss it? (if so, I’ll try a forum search).

Do you think your pot grabber would work with Fosters cans? I prefer the Heineken, but I’m currently using the Ultralight Outfitters Beercan stove which really only works well with the Fosters can.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

1.73 ounces: Sterno can pot (8+ounc volume) with foil lid and 22 gauge wire bail; alcohol burner/pot support; foil wind screen; foil burner base; book of waterproof matches in z-loc; fuel measure. I also carry a Ziploc storage cup (0.3 oz), a plastic spoon (0.08), Platypus Little Nipper with pop valve (0.6) for fuel. Fuel required: 0.25 oz per cup to full boil @70F; up to 0.4 @lower temps. Works for me.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

David:

Yah… I was going to do that… just never got around to it :) Sorry. Maybe I will now. The can grabber thing would work with any can. I have used the stove in the field BTW and everything worked great. Not sure that I would change anything. It’s pretty sweet I think for 62 grams… including pot, lid, grabber, windscreen / stand and “stove”… the stove being nothing more than an esbit tab on a tiny aluminum can bottom.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

pico50a

It can boil to 300 cc (for sierra cup). It was processed from the iron can (50mm diameter). It is the 70mm of the maximum outsides. Cyclone combustion is carried out.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

I’ve been looking at this Ti rod and foil that BPL sells now and I calculated that… using these materials… my 62 gram esbit cook kit would go down to 44 grams!!! 44 grams (or 1,5 oz) for a pot, lid, stand, windscreen, burner and grabber!! Amazing. I’ll let you all know if it works.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

I have been experimenting with a new esbit stove/pot setup today. It came out to be 1.5 oz. total.

8 oz. pot w/ snap on cover – .6 oz
    pot stand – .4 oz.
    can stove – .3 oz.
    windscreen and pot lid – .1 oz.
    ( + .1 oz between everything; my scale only calculates tenths)

For a total of 1.5 oz.

Everything fits into the pot with the snapon lid closed.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

I can also fit 3-4 esbit tabs into the enclosed pot as well as the other itmes.

The plastic snap on cover weighs .1 oz. but the convenience of enclosing everything for storage is worth the weight.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

What are you using for a pot Michael? My setup uses a big beer can (so about 25 fl oz.)… but for solo meals… I don’t really need that much water. I could probably get away with a pop can pot. At 27 grams, the beer can pot is by far the heaviest part of my system.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

been switching back and forth between the Ion and the Vargo Triad. I like the Ions base for hold a Ti 400 cup, but the flame base that the Triad puts out is fantastic.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

David, see my new post of the pots I use –>

1.5 oz. Esbit w/ Pot

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Ok… I finally did up a page with pics, specs and plans for my 62 gram Esbit stove (includes 24 fl oz pot).

Here is the link

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

David, nice setup. The 12 oz. Heineken can would be a natural fit for you. It is a little extra work to get the top off, but you would shave another .5 oz. over the large can.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Thanks Michael. I’m actually going to try modifying a can openner to work with the smaller cans. I usually only need about 1 to 1.5 cups of water for the solo meals I make. If you were to figure in the smaller can, smaller windscreen made of Titanium and a slightly smaller grabber also made of Titanium… this entire setup could easily come in at under 30 grams. Crazy :)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools