Topic

Lightweight Summer Camp Shoe Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Summer Camp Shoe Ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    christopher shive

@cms432

Locale: Along the AT in PA

I do most of my hiking in late spring & summer in Pennsylvania with our scout troop. I like to get out my boots while in camp so I've always carried a set of camp shoes. Currently, they are a pair of J. Crew sandals weighing in at 5.3 ounces for the pair. They feel really light for sandals, but are there any lighter options?

Thanks

Chris

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/search.html

There is alot of camp shoe talk in the recent past.

christopher shive

@cms432

I read the thread regarding myog camp shoes, eg. tyvek booties with foam soles. I suppose I could go the route of making my own camp shoes, but I was really just wondering if anyone new of a lighter pair of sandals. I don't need anything waterproof or insulated, just protection for the bottoms of my feet.

So maybe I should be more direct with my question…Are there sandals (flip flops/thongs) that weigh less than 5.3 ounces?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

They "claim" these are 3.4oz per pair (yes, I called and asked if it was per pair or each) but I don't believe it. If you buy them let me know.

http://www.quarkgear.com/clogs.asp

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA
    te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i believe the claim about the weight… but the "unisex" claim? not really

Hey Ron, I recall someone else talking good about those mesh shoes. Have you tried them?

christopher shive

@cms432

Hmmmm….Those Quark's would work great at 3.4 ounces, but I too doubt they weigh so little. I have a pair of Crocs (the rugged, beefy version, not the standard Crocs) and ONE of them max's out my food scale which has a 7.0 ounce capacity.

Ron, those mesh shoes look real light. Maybe I could have a rep from that company weigh them for me. For $5, I may just order them and weigh for myself.

It also just struck me that Old Navy might make some super light(cheap) flip flops. The $1.99 ones on their website can't weigh much at that cost.

I think I'll get more info on these items and report back.

Chris

Eric Fredricksen
    BPL Member

@efredricksen

Locale: Silicon Valley

My crocs ("Caymans", size near 11) are 13.7oz. The don't go to the mountains with me any more since I've seen the "light".

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

We have some foam Keen sandals in the shop; I just went down and weighed them. 3.5-4.0 ounces for one sandal. I can't imagine something similar weighing less than these…

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I wear a pair of the ones that Ron mentions. They weigh about two ounces for the pair. They work just fine but could use some extra cushion on the bottom. I've thought about gluing some extra foam to the bottom to add comfort and warmth. I haven't gotten around to it yet, though.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Rossbleakney,

Do you have any good pictures of them? The image on the website leaves a lot of questions.

(Off-topic, but $6.50 s&h on a 2oz item? Still, can't complain about the total.)

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

These guys aren't super light around 11 oz for the classic, but they're perfect if you'll be doing any swimming or wading. You can squish them in your pack any which way since there is no tough sole.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

christopher shive

@cms432

If you have removable insoles in your boots you could insert them into the mesh shoes for more cushion.

christopher shive

@cms432

Adam,

Those five fingers shoes are really cool. I don't think I'd ever include them in my pack at that weight, but they might be worth a look for water activities. They would be great for kayaking or just swimming in the creek.

jeremy adley

@jeremyadley

Locale: Maine

Check out the Teva Dozer sandals.

Lighter, better traction, and more comfortable than my Keen Newport H2.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I can't say the Sprint Aquatics are the greatest for comfort, but they'll give you something to wear on your tootsies, and something to do a little creek crossing, and they pack flat, and they only weigh 3.5 oz. They sure are purdy to…I'll think I'll get my grandma a pair to take to her water aerobics.

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

I don't include them on longer hikes, but if I hit up a park, or swimming area nearby with an over night hike, I won't leave home without them! Saved my feet from many a splinter and sharp rocks.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Try hiking in trail running shoes (running shoes with thicker padding, deeper waffled tread & anti-ankle twist (motion control) pieces around the heel and rear of the midstep). They are much lighter than boots so you are less tired at the end of the day, and have more padding + breathable mesh uppers so your feet are a lot more comfortable at the end of the day too. The mesh also allows them to dry quickly after stream crossings, etc. Just loosen the laces for "weightless" camp shoes.

ps: Trail runners work best when your total pack weight is 35 pounds or less. This can be difficult if your scout troop has heavy tents, lots of group gear intended to make camp ultra-comfy / convenient, or takes lots of heavy "car-camping" types of foods.

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I have the Sprint Aquatics shoes as well. Sure its like walking barefoot when it comes down to comfort level, but I use them for river crossings and camp shoes. When I had a 1/4mi till the next crossing I just wore them and they didn't fall apart on the rocks or roots, I was impressed. Again, if its just camp shoes you're looking for, why waste all the weight on comfortable shoes, your feet can swell up in these too… ;)

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

I too have used sprint aquatics mesh shoes. They will remain in my kit unless I find something better. (I'm always looking).
    Beware, I've have my feet poked from sticks that come right thru the sole. And dry pine needles thru the mesh.

christopher shive

@cms432

I just received my sprint aquatics mesh shoes in the mail today. They weighed in at 1.9085 ounces (54.1 grams) for the pair. I think they'll be just durable and comfy enough for evening and morning use for a season. Other than the fact that they look like something my grandmother would wear, I think these are just the shoes I was looking for.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I wonder why BPL, or somebody, doesn't order up a little supply of these and offer them? They're not as thick as hotcakes, but they might sell like them.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm new to this sport so please don't laugh too hard if this idea is ridiculous. I just like to think outside of the box. How about the slippers that hotels set out for guests. Not water tolerant but supper light and with a plastic or rubber sole to protect the bottoms of your feet. The terry cloth material would be an extra perk to sore feet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There has been no mention of Sanuks. They are as light as anything else out there, or lighter, and they compress down flat to fit nicely into the pack. The top is fully enclosed and the fabric is cotton so it breathes allowing your feet to dry out after a long day on the trail. They are quite comfortable and now that they have been on the market for awhile, are beginning to show up with reasonable sale prices.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Am I missing something?

I am going to suggest a very lightweight solution. Don't take camp-shoes.

Camp shoes are a hold over from "traditional" camping where you needed relief after hiking in big boots all day. This web-site is about backpacking LIGHT. If you've never gone on a trip without camp-shoes, I encourage you to give it a try.

I used to take camp shoes, I tried going without 'em, and it was absolutly fine. No it doesn't even cross my mind to take 'em…

Just a suggestion from experience.

Peace,
    M!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools