Topic

Track Notes for the GR52 in France

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Track Notes for the GR52 in France

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Track Notes for the GR52 in France

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Roger, while your GR52 trip was interesting, I prefer your trips that involve you coming close to dying, such as "When Things Go Wrong." Please try to include death-defying close calls in all your future trips. Don't get too close, though, we don't want to lose you or your wife.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> death-defying close calls
    Choke!

Aaron McNulty

@aaronmcnulty

I'm thinking about making a small part of this trip with my wife. We're planning on doing 5-6 days on the trail, but still deciding on which portion of the GR-5 and/or GR-52 to do- somewhere between Larche and Menton.

We're experienced hikers in our small corner of the Eastern US. But our hikes are in the rolling hills of Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee- certainly not Alpine terrain!

I have a question for anyone who has experience on this trail. Our general rule of thumb is to avoid hikes where a false step or slip will lead to a serious fall, injury, or death. Are there points on this trail that fit this description? Are there certain stretches that are less perilous than others? We're young and fit, and have no problems with strenuous hiking. But we like to have our feet on a firm trail, with room for error or trips.

Thanks!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Aaron

The French GR routes are highlights of the trails network. They are used a lot. By and large, the tracks are well-maintained and will present no problems at all to any experienced walker. Or to any fit active kid either.

There were one or two spots on the GR52 where the track did have a lot of gravel on the surface as it went downhill. I remember commenting about it to my wife – but I don't think either of us slowed down much there.

I also remember one stretch of the GR5 where the guide book mentioned there was an exposed and technical section, which caused my wife some concern beforehand. We got to the next junction and my wife asked with some confusion or amusement where the difficult bit was.

Now, Menton. That is on the coast (the Med) and it was stinking hot there. I don't think many people do the last couple of days S of the Val de Merveilles. That bit of the track was a bit rougher too. My suggestion would be that if you only have 6 days, stay further N up in the mountains. You will definitely enjoy that more. The Parc National de Vanois is nice.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools