Topic

light insulating jackets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) light insulating jackets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    zoli bassoff

@windsong

I am looking for a light weight wind/water resistance jacket. I have bought a tarp/ponch and want a warm layer that I can wear around camp. Another feature that I am looking for is a full lenght zipper. does anyone have any ideas of a jacket.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Check out the Montbell Thermawrap jacket.

At 8.5 or so ounces, it is featherly light, has a full length zipper, pockets for your hands, packs down really small, and is since it has syntetic fill it will keep you warm in damp conditions.

Two years ago, I replaced my bulky fleece with the Thermawrap and could not be happier.

I have taken it snow shoeing and winter camping as part of a layering system and I even use it in my sleeping bag laid over me like a blanket to provide additional warmth.

The workmanship is great.

Hope that helps.

-Tony

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

How water resistant are you wanting it? I have a MontBell Thermawrap that I use all of the time, but you either may want something warmer (the thermawrap is about like a 200 wt fleece and 8.2oz) or more water resistant.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I was too late

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I recommend going with the hooded version of the Thermawrap, the parka (see ava). The hood adds a large amount of warmth for a little weight trade-off. It blocks wind around around your head (except head-on) and the brim is excellent.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I have the thermawrap parka and it is amazingly warm for its weight. I would definitely recommend it.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

If you are bigger than the average person you might want to check out the Patagonia Micro Puff as the Montbell stuff tends to run small.

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

You might look at the Spruce Run from REI. 15oz, wind and water resistant, and the sleeves zip off in you just want a vest. Good luck!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Could any owners please comment on the size of the parka hood? Is it over-helmet sized, or just over hat?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

For me (Moderate-size head, I guess!), it would lose some loft over a helmet. Perfect though, w/just a cap.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools