Topic

German Brown

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery German Brown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

Finally got a chance to get out – been a rough year with very little walking, hiking, fishing. Caught a female & released her with her swollen belly of eggs, but kept this 21" 3lb male for eating.today's german brown trout

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Nice Fish!!! What rig did you catch it on? And how did you prepare it for dinner?

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

4 pc 6' eagle claw fiberglass lightweight rod (fun)
    quality 6lb test (have lost too many on this stream w/ lighter line)
    Shimano reel – upgraded couple years ago after losing some big fish on this stream
    #7 rapala (countdown) – brown minnow pattern: this has been my go to lure for large fish last few years

cooking tomorrow – will probably bake this one with garlic, pepper, salt, lime juice, olive oil – turning once halfway through

he has nice pink meat

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Nice!!! Thanks for the info, I will try the #7 Rapala. I will be fishing in Emigrant Wilderness in a few weeks.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

the higher you go, the smaller the lure, generally

also depends a little on what fish you are after

i use the rapala for big german brown & rainbow trout, mostly in fairly large streams

in high, clear mountain lakes & streams, i use much smaller tackle & quite often do flyfishing or use a fly & bubble with the spin rod, especially for brook trout

for big goldens & brookies, i like small trout teaser jigs 9 ft or so below a casting bubble, or beadheaded nymphs or wolly buggers if flyfishing

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Sounds like you know what your doin-Thanks!! I am taken notes and can't wait to go fishin.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Then I guess you're in?????

Cool!!!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Ken, I am in!!! I PM you last week??? Sounds like a great hike- looking forward to it.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Cool. Jay!! Never got the PM. No worries. Just sent you a pm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools