Topic

15D Ripstop Nylon Durability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 15D Ripstop Nylon Durability

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Anyone have any experience with tarps made of 15D Ripstop? I bought a Nemo Equipment Apollo 3P Bikepacking Shelter but I don’t know if it will hold up to Alaska like an MLD mid. I’m thinking wind mostly.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Luke,
    Looked at the Nemo site, which says this is a nylon shelter, with a coating that is sil on one side and PU on the other. The figure, “1200” was also thrown in with no explanation. If that is a reference to the fabric’s hydrostatic head in millimeters, it could be a problem in extended heavy and wind blown rains, as 1500mm HH is generally considered the minimum to be considered fully ‘waterproof.’

Sea to Summit uses a similar fabric for its Escapist tarps. Note that the MLD silnylon is 20D, (a measure of the weight of the thread used to weave the fabric), not much more than the 15D weight of your tent.

Unfortunately, all nylons are not equal. The Dupont 6.6 nylon is much stronger than many that come from Asia; however there is no telling whether Asia is now making nylons of a quality of 6.6.

On a more positive note, Nemo has been making tents for a number of years, has a lot of experience at it, and has gone with lighter denier (D) tents for some time.

I would not worry overly about wind ripping the fabric. The pyramid is a good design, and if correctly pitched, a rip at the stake-out points is probably more likely than wind tearing the fabric apart. Also noticed on Amazon that all the reviews were 5 star, which is excellent.

Note that while larger than the MLD Duomid, the tent is probably not large enough for more than two persons on a long trip, despite its name. Also, that if you are not used to using tarps and floorless mids, you might miss the protection afforded by a tent with a floor and full double walls. I also am unfamiliar with the weather in Alaska, the time of year you’ll be there, and at what altitudes. But suggest all these things be considered.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I’ve used pyramids a good bit. I rather foolishly sold my DuoMid years ago.

The HH did raise a red flag after I’d ordered it. Then I felt it and realized it was not old school 1.1 nylon. I’m not so worried wind will rip it. I’m more worried it will be so fragile that abrasion will cause a problem.

Where I usually camp it typically no worse then Rocky Mountain weather. But it is Alaska and bailing out is not always easy.  So we’ll see. My gut feeling is I’ll eventually want something more “bomb proof ” so I’ll probably send it back and wait for a MLD or Seek Outside

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools