Topic

15D Packas are now available

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Dave Heiss BPL Member
PostedApr 10, 2019 at 7:20 pm

From the http://www.thepacka.com website….

15d silicone coated nylon (silnylon) with a waterproofness rating of 2000 HH.  It comes in gray only.
Weights:  small 15d:  9 oz        medium 15d:  9.5  oz         mediumx 15d: 10 oz      large 15d:  10 oz      largex 15d:  10.50z     Price:  $122.00  +  shipping

 

I have one large and one small headed my way.

Link . BPL Member
PostedApr 10, 2019 at 8:55 pm

The 15d silnylon fabric does not have sealed seams.  The 15d silnylon Packas are manufactured with a poly cotton thread which swells when wet to close the needle holes and minimize leaking.  I tested the 15d sample extensively and was satisfied with how the seams performed.   I did get some leakage through seams in a storm, but it was very minimal.

That’s to bad, I wish it came with taped seams.

Dave Heiss BPL Member
PostedApr 10, 2019 at 11:59 pm

I will probably seam seal mine (using a brush-on mix of paint thinner and silicone) like I did with my Tarptent (Protrail) tent seams. But I think I’ll first try the packa as-is to see if seam sealing is going to be necessary.

Link . BPL Member
PostedApr 11, 2019 at 2:18 pm

It doesn’t sound fun from what he says

Unlike a tent with long straight seams, the Packa has many curved seams.   If you try to do too much at once, the Packa will flop around and you will end up with a big mess.   To manually seam seal a Packa, you lay out a stretch of seam typically about 12 to 18 inches long, apply a thin line of sealant to the needle holes, and lightly push it into the holes with your finger.   Let this dry for for at least 2 or 3 hours before moving to the next segment of seam.  Back when I used to manually seam seal quite a bit I would do a segment in the morning, a segment when I got home from work, and a segment right before I went to bed.   That’s why it can take a couple days to do it properly without making a big mess.

It’s too bad, otherwise I like the look of it.

JCH BPL Member
PostedApr 11, 2019 at 8:55 pm

Got a medium arriving Saturday.  Definitely going to seam seal it using the “tarptent” method.

Kevin Babione BPL Member
PostedApr 12, 2019 at 11:00 am

I’m a bit of a Packa junkie – I have a Silnylon, an eVent, and a custom-made WPB cuben version.  I’m glad to see Eddie continue to stay on top of the fabrics in the market.

I can’t imagine a little water leaking through the seams would be a big deal – Even with the gigantic pit zips I’m usually sweating when I’m wearing it anyway.  If you are going to seam seal it you probably don’t have to do all of the seams – just do the ones that would be hit directly with rain.

Link . BPL Member
PostedApr 12, 2019 at 2:19 pm

I have plenty of rain jackets that leak already, I have always liked the look of the Packa but will wait for a light one that won’t leak.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...