Topic

Wood Stove Pot Cleaning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wood Stove Pot Cleaning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

If you cook over a wood fire your pot will eventually wind up yukky on it's sides and bottom.

By accident I found a product that cleans the soot and tar off with ease.

Use liquid Chafer Fuel as the cleaning fluid. Pour some in a shallow paper plate, wrap the sides of the pot with paper towels, put the pot in and soak over night. (I only soaked the bottom overnight for this photo session) It only took one min. to clean the bottom from start to finish. Use a paint scraper instead of a single edge razor, I think it's workk better. The razor blade was too sharp and kinda dug into the metal and made some skid marks :lol: :lol:

Liquid Chaffing fuel can be purchased at many big box stores or restaurant supply stores like Gordon Food Supplies (GFS) It's used for warming trays of buffet food. Can be bought one at a time or by the case. Makes a good summer time fuel for alcohol stoves that are wickatized. This stuff needs a wick to burn. Wick stoves are great!!!!! :D Even tiny makes them :lol: :lol:

<center>

</center>

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Cleaning a sooty pot is refreshing and delightful but it only takes one fire to get it dirty again. Why bother, Zelph?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

From the Material Safety Data Sheet:

Routes of Entry: Dermal contact. Eye contact. Inhalation. Ingestion.

Toxicity to Animals:
    Acute oral toxicity (LD50): 12565 mg/kg [Hamster.].
    Acute dermal toxicity (LD50): 11890 mg/kg [Hamster.].

Chronic Effects on Humans: The substance is toxic to blood, kidneys, the nervous system, liver.
    Other Toxic Effects on Humans: Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of ingestion, of inhalation.

Special Remarks on Toxicity to Animals: Not available.
    Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans: Not available.
    Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans: Experimentally tumorigen by inhalation. Exposure can cause nausea,
    headache and vomiting.

OK, not wildly toxic compared to some things, but few chemicals are really 'safe'.

Cheers

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Sam, Its my favorite for testing alcohol stoves ;=) I'm in fear it will have an insulating affect on heat transfer, call me cautious, call me weird.. My campfire pot does not get that dirty. I put it over the fire after the flames go down and have hot coals. I'll post some tests tomorrow that I made of a double wall wood burning stove. Someday I'll take some photos of where I gather wood for my campfires. I would have liked to have been Native American AKA Indian, about 200 years ago to learn their ways of cooking and backpacking.

Thanks Roger for that info. It's kinda weird that they would put that product in such close proximity to food. I've seen a person pull the wick up higher with their bare fingers to have it burn hotter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools