Topic

Anyone used SD Wicked Fast Bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone used SD Wicked Fast Bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

I was wondering if anyone has used the Sierra Designs Wicked Fast sleeping system? It is a quilt type sleeping bag with a sewn-in floor. It looks interesting and is relatively inexpensive for the 10 ounces of 800 fill down and the temp. rating of 30 degrees. How do you like this bag? Any problems? Is the temp rating accurate?

david fausnight

@rckjnky

Have you seen one in person or just looked at their pics etc.? I had an opportunity to check one out when the rep brought one to the store where I work. I was thinking about ordering one of these bags before I saw it. But, after looking at it in person I noticed it has some, atleast to my mind, serious design issues. If I did buy one; I would most certainly modify it to be more like the nunatak quilts. At the very least I would move the pad locks to where the insulation end, to allow them to be used to vary the girth, and I would probably also add one more. I would also think about adding down under the feet. I decided it would be more work then I wanted to put into it, so I didnt order one.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

David S.,

i’m a fan of “inexpensive” when there’s no need to spend more (brand name labels are NOT a reason to spend more – to my mind at least).

not sure how high “inexpensive” is on your priority list.

IF it is a high priority, as it is for many – including me, at times, then, if you haven’t done so already, check out:
    Fanatic Fringe HomePage – click “Sleep Gear” on the lower left of the page. They do custom work. They work with synthetics, though, not down. Their quilts are still pretty light though. (BTW, they’re good Folks to do business with. I’ve had two good experiences with them. Soon, one of their quilts will be a third good experience).

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I’ve examined the bag in the store, but never used it in the field. It’s a pretty simple piece. All down on top, all single-layer nylon on the bottom. I prefer a small torso pad + backpack to sleep on. I reject the SD Wicked models because there is no insulation under the feet, and the baffles only cover maybe 50-60% of the girth of the bag. Because of my pad arrangement, I’d be happier with something like a Nunatak or Jardine quilt that have the feet wrapped up and more like 75-90% of the girth insulated.

But, I think it could be a good fit and a good value if you use a full-length pad or mattress. The materials are very nice and silky, and it has some neat features like the built-in stuff sack/ pillow sleeve. You can find some great pictures of the 45 degree sister model here. Moontrail does a great job of showing more than just the standard file photo.
    -Mark

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

David,

You can look at the Rock and Ice article that compares a number of lightweight sleeping bags including the stable mate to the SD Wicked Fast- the SD Wicked Light (Rock and Ice was not that enthusiastic about this bag- they preferred the Nunatak Arc Ghost and the Feathered Friends Vireo).

Here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/bwsh4

John Chan

@ouroboros

I also had a look at one when I did my due diligence for an UL 32 F bag. While it looks good on paper there were some things I didn’t like about it. I don’t really like the “top bag” concept because I question the durability of the bottom fabric (resistance to abrasion) when there is nothing between it and yourself. Also, the “critter” factor is hugely overstated as I’ve never had any critters cozy up in my quilt. The Sierra bag also has a looser fitting footbox and for a UL bag with a “conservative” 0 C rating I feel the key is to have a tighter, slightly overfilled footbox to keep that part of your anatomy warm. You can always wear layers to sleep to keep the torso warm but layering socks is a pain and very ineffectual (in my experience) due to their poor insulation value.

Ultimately, I went with a custom Arc Ghost and haven’t looked back but another viable runner up was the JacksRBetter No Sniveller Quilt… especially if you hammock camp or are thinking about hammock camping.

Good luck,

John.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Thanks everyone for your input! I have not gotten a chance to check out the bag in person yet, but is sounds like there are some other options. I appreciate the feedback!

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

David, I have the prior year’s version (2004) of the Wicked Fastbags. I actually have 2 each of the summerweight and the springweight. This version has a polyester bottom that zips to the bag and can be removed completely. The baffles are also a bit wider than the new version. Photos can be seen here: http://www.sierradesigns.com/dealers.down.bags04.html

Unfortunately, I’ve only used the springweight (30deg) on one occassion in the desert. Temps were probably 45-50 at night and it was too hot. You’re looking at about 5-6inches of loft on top of you. I’ve heard of another person on Whiteblaze.net complain that they almost froze using the bag in the 20s while on the AT.

You don’t get alot of coverage with the bags. I have the long and I think the insulation is about 35-36 inches across at its widest point.

I bought them with the idea of zipping two together to use a double quilt for me and the wife.

Two summerweights zipped together are about 72in wide and allows versitility with using the bottoms or not and you get about 15.5 oz of 800 fill for 27 oz total weight without the zip in bottoms being used. The bottoms weigh 4.6oz each.

If you are interested I’d be willing to let go of one or both of the springweight bags. One has been used once and the other hasn’t been outside.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools