Topic

Ursack Hybrid approval?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ursack Hybrid approval?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve Young

@shakeylegs

I just bought a bear vault weekender to lighten the load and now I find the following post on ursack’s site:

“October 27, 2005
    AMAZING BUT TRUE: URSACK HYBRID CONDITIONALLY APPROVED FOR SIERRA.
    The long winter of our discontent is over. The Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group (SIBBG) has unanimously approved the use of the Ursack Hybrid in the previously restricted ares of the National Parks and Forests in the Sierra: Yosemite, SEKI, Inyo, Devil’s Postpile, Stanislaus. We have not heard from other areas that may not allow Ursack, but we anticipate that they will fall in line with SIBBG.

Specifically, this means that the Hybrid, which is the Ursack with our heavy duty aluminum liner, has been conditionally approved for use in those areas. Conditionally approved means that it has passed all zoo and wilderness testing by rangers, but still must successfully get through the summer of 2006 with actual use by campers. If we pass that test, then the Ursack Hybrid will have full approval. The difference to our customers is inconsequential since even containers that have received full approval can be later banned if bears figure out how to get into them.

The Ursack Hybrid weighs about 20 ounces and holds about 650 cubic inches. The aluminum liner is removable for use in areas where it is allowed.”

If Im not mistaken, for its size the hybrid is about a pound lighter than most of the competition and 10 oz lighter than the BV weekender. Guess it’s time to lighten the wallet again.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Interesting.

I’ll let someone else be the first to try these out in Vidette Meadows, but if the combination proves successful it’s a definite leap forward from rigid canisters, both in weight and ease of packing.

I can’t help but wonder whether persistent gnawing at the liner edges won’t eventually cause the fabric to fray and separate?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

What might work is a combination of the bag plus some bear repellent.

The spray to keep my cats off the furniture works well. Maybe something that tastes nasty. We should try to drive the bear away rather than reward persistence and ingenuity.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent News!

This Comment is from a big fan of the URSACK TKO and Not of the Garcia Canister!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools