Topic

G9/G10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography G9/G10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

Question about the G9 vs. the G10. I'd like to purchase on or the other and I'm stuck between the features.

If anyone was going to make that purchase right now which one and why?

The biggest knock for me is the wider angle on the G10 and the fact that they are the same price….. Should we expect to see price drops on the G9?

Also what other cameras in the same range or cheaper would you go for if your main concerns were outdoor photos for landscapes and macros without carrying an SLR. I'd like it to accept a hood and close up lenses and have true color. I like the new nikon P6000 or even the P5100 to save a few bucks but cant find any info on attachment of a hood or close up lenses. Anything similar to the lensmate for a nikon?

One other thing is that the new nikon is only windows compatible for raw??? I don't shoot raw and don't plan to for a while but will have this camera for a while and when I move to that would like the functionality for my mac. Just a little irritating for future functionality as I get more into photography.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Jason,

The G10 wider angle lens makes it much more desirable IMHO, but I would caution wait-and-see on how good the image quality is, until we know how the monstrous pixel count affects it.

The G9 also has a reputation of acquiring dust on the sensor, so hopefully that's been addressed.

Have you looked at the Panny LX3?

Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

I hear you on the pixel count; one of my concerns as well. I really wish they'd stop increasing that if they are going to leave the sensor size the same.

I've looked at the LX3 and everything looks great; except the 2.5x zoom and the view finder issue; if I'm going to attach a view finder to a hotshoe I'd like it to be an actual evf like ricoh's. Sensor size and megapixels look great though.

Fuji did a good job on the sensor size of the F100fd but then crapped out on manual controls, view finder, and an adaptor ring; macro could be a little closer focus too. That one has potential if they'd consider beefing it up a little bit for the prosumer market.

I've been following this market for a while and it seems like the manufactures are purposely ignoring the features that would make these great cameras for fear of losing some SLR customers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools