Topic

Cuben Fiber in Colors

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber in Colors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Art Sandt

@artsandt

Ron, have you ever considered selling the cuben fiber by the yard for MYOGers? If it were a color that only MLD had, then I bet there would be plenty of demand just for yardage. Of course, I could say the same thing about that 2oz/yd eVENT you all use…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Ron

> My guess is that the thinner material transfers heat just a bit faster and thus less condensation can form. Does this theory hold water…;-)

I am at a loss to see how this might be so.
    But what is the real reason … I don't know. I suspect it may be to do with the surface energy of the Mylar, but I admit I am guessing.

Cheers

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

I'd like to play the guessing game, too. ;)

How about this?

I speculate that the light colored, semi-transparent standard Cuben has a lower emissivity than darker alternative fabrics. So, under clear night sky conditions will be warmer and less prone to condensation.

If you haven't seen it already, Mariah Walton did a fascinating test a while ago:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/night_time_condensation_on_tarp_and_tent_fabrics.html

Cheers,

-Mike

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Mike

> I speculate that the light colored, semi-transparent standard Cuben has a lower emissivity than darker alternative fabrics. So, under clear night sky conditions will be warmer and less prone to condensation.

Now that is an interesting thought. The temperature of the night sky can be as low as -60 C. That's why tent flies can be slightly cooler than the ambient air. But a clear Mylar film will very likely have a lower emissivity than a dark blue silnylon fabric, at least in the visible region. I am less sure about the IR band (for either material!), but it is a better explanation than mine.

Cheers

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Michael,

I've been waiting for an aluminized cuben, too. I spoke to Chris at Cubic Tech about aluminized products in the <1oz weight range just a few days ago and he sent me a sample of some 1.3 oz aluminized cuben they had on the shelf. He said that they can easily make aluminized cuben in the ~ 0.5 oz range, but he doesn't believe that there is sufficient demand to justify it. A show of interest from a dozen or so MYOGers might convince him.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

I am looking for a cuben tarp and would prefer olive gray/foliage green over the stock white color.

I personally prefer muted/natural over bright/primary colors.

Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast

Hi guys,

If anyone is still watching this thread can you tell me if I'm getting this right?

I went to the Cubic Tech site listed at the beginning of this thread. Their website refers me to North Sails via a North Cloth link that does not work. I found the North Sails site anyway by removing the North Cloth part. But the North Sails site doesn't refer to Cuben Fiber anywhere that I can find. Does it have another name?

Bill, are you buying 9 yard minimums from one of these places? If so, which one? I may be able to afford a poncho tarp out of cuben this year and I'd love to have one in color.

My thanks to anyone who can un-confuse me!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

Cuben Tech is where you want to go. Try 1-480-641-0438.

North Sails – sells only to the sail trade. Cubic Tech / Cuben Fiber sells to us.

Yes, I buy it direct from them and have to buy it in 9 meter / yard minimums.

I got a 9 yard piece of the Blue 0.33 or so weight. Unless you get some very heavy weight color Cuben it isn't really colored. The cord used is how they get the color. The lighter weight you buy the less cord it has and the less color you get. The 0.33 weight ( Item CTO.3E.08 BLUE) The Blue I got has very little color to it. No where close to a solid color. In fact it is almost no color. For this weight expect to pay about $19.54 a yard times 9 = $175.86 plus shipping. My total was a little over $200.

You should call and ask for a sample so you can decide if is has enough color for you. I would not buy color again unless the mylar was colored.

Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

Thanks Bill. That's about the price I expected. I'll take your advice and get samples.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Jane,
    If you're not interested in color, need less than 9 yards, and are going to use a bonding tape rather than sew, take a look at QUEST and do the math.

Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

Thanks Greg. It's been a while since I looked at Quest. I'll do that before I buy.

BTW, I did get a response from North Sails today. They require a 10 yard minimum and will send samples and pricing. It also looks like they have storefront locations in a lot of places. I emailed the one here in Maine.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Bill, I was a lil confused also. Cuben Fiber Corp was located just a few miles from me in Mesa, AZ. They were purchased by North Sails so I dont understand how you are still purchasing from Cuben Tech/Fiber Corp. I thought they moved the entire operation to Michigan or somewhere.
    They (sales dept.) never have responded to several emails asking for price quotes. Id rather use Quest?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

Confusion is good, sort of like condensation. Sometimes you just have to live with it.

To keep it simple the operations just split. Nothing moved. Sail makers buy direct from North Sails where ever they are – up in New England someplace I think and other then sail makers buy from Cuben Tech / Corp in Mesa, AZ.

Try a phone call. It might even be a local call if you live that close. You might even drop by and say hi. They are at 4511 E Ivy Street. You might even say Bill sent you.

I am glad to hear you are using Quest, Kate is a friend of mine

Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

If anybody's still watching this thread, I just heard from a salesman that Cubic Tech announced a new minimum purchase amount of 100 meters for the color of your choice. The price quoted me per meter of 50" width fabric is much higher than what Bill got it for, but that is probably including the salesman's markup for commission.

If any of you guys want to make a purchase and resell by the yard, or 5 yard batch, etc. put me on the list. I'm ok with blue, green, or muted colors.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools