Topic

uses: tennis ball container

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear uses: tennis ball container

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i'll start: tortilla case
    go!

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

caldera cone caddy?

Christopher Williams

@clwilla

Locale: The Bluegrass

Likely good storage for a small Red Bull Can Pot and a small diameter stove. Fuel will likely fit in it as well.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

well there's a tennis court near my place and i see empty (but brand new) ball containers all the time. I thought… what are they good for? (besides landfill)
    maps
    cookies
    tortillas
    spagetti/other long noodles
    storage of dry goods like beans, peas, nuts and bolts.. man the list could go on. I thought of a few things they would work for in the backcountry. The lid of the Wilson can fits a Heiny pot perfectly.
    continuing on..

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

small reel & rod
    tent stakes
    fish tackle
    candles

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Tennis balls.

I found a Pringles can works better for backpacking. The walls are straight; anything that can fit through the top fits in the can. It's cardboard so it gives a bit when needed. It's cheap, comes filled with good eatables, then serves multiple purposes. Easily disposable when no longer needed. Readily replaceable at town stops – even at gas station convenience stores.

Nick Chen

@fleetparadox

Locale: Socal

Water.

Martin Wilde

@marty-wildegmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Leave no trace poo-poo carrier…

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Ooooh, I like the Pringles idea. The cardboard component can also be used as a fire-starter in a pinch. I imagine it would make an ideal container for carrying a Caldera Cone and accessories…

On the other hand, the tennis ball can can also be used as an in-tent emergency pee-pot for those really wet nights, or carrying anything wet. I'm not sure if the Pringles can would hold up to prolonged moisture?

The real question here is: How much does an empty tennis ball can weigh?? Are there lighter alternatives that would do the same job?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools