Topic

Montbell Thermawrap vs. Inner

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
PostedSep 15, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Besides the 1.8 ounces the inner has over the Thermawrap, are there any functional distinctions between the two jackets?

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedSep 15, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I have an inner and have a thermawrap vest scheduled for deliver tomorrow. They are great pieces.

The biggest difference between the inner and the thermawrap is obviously the insulating materials (down vs. synthetic) and the advantages and disadvantages that come with them.

You point out the main disadvantage for the thermawrap ….weight…something like a 30% weight penalty compared to the inner. The main advagtage for synthetic insulations is that it still performs after becoming wet. You can ring it out and you will still get decent heat retention. Get down wet and you loose about all insulating properties and it is difficult to dry. This means you most likely won't be hiking is down garmets. The other factor to consider is compressibility….down is the clear winner.

If getting wet or needing to hike in your insulating gear is an issue get the thermawrap. That being said my inner is about the only piece of gear that comes on all my trips.

Jamie

Dana S BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 8:39 am

I just bought a Down Inner Parka and now i'm scared i made the wrong decision.

I hike mainly east coast where it's humid. I don't usually need to hike in my insulation layer but fear i might need that option one day.

Should i return the UL Inner and get a Thermawrap instead?

How is the compressibility from first hand experience? The Down packs very small. If the Thermawrap is almost as small that could ease the 5.4oz difference.

Basically, i just need someone to tell me to keep the down inner and i'll be fine. :)

– Dana

PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 8:51 am

Fellows,
I think this was discussed before to wit:
In a LARGE insulating garment (e.g. sleeping bag) the insulation makes up most of the weight. Therefore down, which is lighter and more compressible than synthetics, is the preferred choice under most circumstances.

However, in a SMALL lightly insulating garment (e.g. very lightweight and slightly insulating parka), the fabric, closures, etc make up a far greater proportion of the garment weight and the difference between down and synthetic insulation itself is of much less importance, since it is a much smaller proportion of the overall garment weight and compressiblity.

So you may find that the Thermawrap for its size and weight is not that much less insulating than the MontBell parka. Or, if equally insulating, perhaps not much more weight.

If you are considering wearing it WHILE hiking, the choice is obvious – the Thermawarp. If only at rest, perhaps a toss-up depending on how often you find yourself in damp conditions.

Marty Cooperman

Dana S BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 9:09 am

Marty,

yea yea i know. i'm just bummed that i jumped at the Down Inner Parka when my gut says i should have gotten the Thermawrap.

I'll most likely never use it while hiking but the AT is so humid and damp that i think i should just be safe and go synthetic. Base camp in the morning is some pretty "thick" air.

Again, what do you eastern hikers think? What do you use? Thermawrap seems like a good idea, but boy o boy do i love the weight of the Down Inner.

– Dana

Dana S BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 9:45 am

Printed out my return label. Thermawrap here I come!

Nathan Baker BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 9:50 am

Dana,
Bentgate has the thermawrap on sale for $99 in limited sizes

Dana S BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 9:58 am

Thanks for the heads up nathan.

I went with the parka though, so i'm just going to return it to ProLiteGear and exchange it for their Thermawrap Parka.

I'm a sucker for hoods :P

Thanks for the heads up though, i really appreciate all the feedback and help.

– Dana

PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 10:03 am

Personally, I use down quite a bit, and have for years in the SE. I prefer it's compressibility and find it always feels much warmer, whether it is or not. That being said, there is one type of trip when I do prefer a synthetic (I have an old Puffball Pullover in good shape), and that's cool temps with lots of rain. Say, less than 50F and pretty steady rain. I can wear the Puffball hiking or put it on during a break without fear of it wetting out too much. Of course, lots of Springs and Falls in the Appalachians cool rain is the only weather we get!

Brad Rogers BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 10:04 am

I have a 2005 Thermawrap and it has become my most used insulating layer. It goes on most of my trips year round.

PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 4:29 pm

The other negative of synthetic, other than compressibility, weight, and warmth, is that it does not have the same longevity. As time goes by it will not 'loft' as well as it used to, so won't be as warm as when you bought it. Not sure how pronounced this effect is with the Thermawrap though; might not be significant.

PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Nathan,

They are both great jackets, but I don't think you made a mistake purchasing the down inner parka. I have both it and the Thermawrap parka and prefer the down. The down inner not only packs smaller and weighs less, but it also feels warmer to me.

PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 5:40 am

I also have both & wear the inner on many cold days in town while doing errands- down jackets warm up faster. The inner feels more delicate but more comfortable. Both are great jackets.

PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 5:58 am

My thermawrap jacket always makes it into my pack. I've gotten a couple years of hard use out of mine, and it has held up well. I've even had need to get out in the rain a couple of times for brief intervals and the DWR worked really well. I would have been reluctant to try that with a down jacket.

jim draucker BPL Member
PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 7:00 pm

I also have both jackets. The down does seem to warm up faster, But that is the nature of down. I think the DWR is
very good. If if I was going to pick one exertion/ humidity
go with thermawrap. Also in my size, the down jacket seems to run a little larger.Hope this helps.

Jim

Boozer BPL Member
PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 7:34 pm

The thermawrap is a tighter cut than any of the down garments. I believe Montbell used to market the Thermawrap line as an "active" cut.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Loading...