Topic

Road trip from Missoula to Denver!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Road trip from Missoula to Denver!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

I'm driving from Missoula to Denver toward the end of September. I always take backroads and try to see as much as possible. Any suggestions on a good route to take? I was thinking of going through the Wind Rivers. Any essential stops to make along the way?

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

You won't be able to get very close to the Winds thru-traveling; but probably your best chance for views is along US-287 between Dubois and Lander. If you want to actually drive up close to the range and maybe do some hiking, then you need to take US-191 since most access points are from the Pinedale area. I've traveled 191 in the past and don't recall being able to see much from the highway — but I would think the route along 287 will give you some views.

You've probably already been there, but you should take the Beartooth Highway between Red Lodge and Cooke City if it's still open in late September. To get to 287 you would need to go through Yellowstone and Grand Teton and turn at Moran Junction. Be sure to look in your rearview mirror, you get an amazing distance view of the Tetons from 287 on a clear day!

To get to Red Lodge I would go to Great Falls and take US-89 all the way to I-90 east, get off at the Columbus exit and take 78 to Red Lodge.

Before you get to Colorado, the drive through Wyoming will be boring — there's no way around it unless you wind way out of the way.

In Colorado, I would suggest traveling eastbound through RMNP and taking 7 to 72 to near Boulder. 14 from Walden to Ft. Collins is pretty nice too if you want to avoid the park.

Basically, I would suggest this route http://tinyurl.com/6jpk92

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

No that would be a great drive. I second the beartooth highway and I would suggest staying in cooke city for the night. the locals there are a blast. I partied with some guys clearing land right outside town, crazy bunch of folks you wouldnt believe the story if I told you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools