Topic

Powdered drink/mix storage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Powdered drink/mix storage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Thomas R. Conroy
    BPL Member

@trconroyearthlink-net

Locale: Sierra

We've had a bit of a problem with the zip feature of Zip-locs [or Aloksaks or OP Saks] getting filled with whatever powdered drink we put into the bags. What alternatives to these type of bags do others use?

Many thanks.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Simple. Don't put stuff in the zipper. Open it up and fold it over twice so nothing gets in it. Problem solved.
    You could also use Nalgene canteens. They have a wide mouth and flexible body, but I manage with careful pouring into a .5L Platypus or water bottle.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I use platypus bottles for a lot of powder or 500ml soda/water bottles for smaller amounts. This system has proven bomber for me when having essentially all my nutrition in powder form. Light water bottles with secure 28mm caps, not 26.7mm water caps, can weigh as little as 15g for 500ml and they don't explode in your pack.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Use a plastic bag, NOT a ziploc.

Just tie it in a knot, it won't come undone. And then, ROLL the top of the bag down before pouring. You can pour with exacting accuracy, and no mess.

It weighs LESS than the platypus, and it's free. You must have a drawer of old bags in the kitchen – right?

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I just don't trust plastic bags. Stretch blown PET bottles, even the lightest water bottles, are SO much stronger, abrasion and puncture resistant. Plus pouring out of a bottle is even easier than a bag.

For those of you who carry Perpetuem/Heed/etc, just try the bottle method. You won't worry about your powder exploding in your pack ever again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools