Topic

No Sniveler or MLD XP quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) No Sniveler or MLD XP quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

So I wish to replace my 15-degree, 50-ounce NF Neptune bag with something a little lighter. These two quilts are at the top of my list right now – I like quilts because I'm a 3-season guy and roll around a lot. I'd like to hear thoughts and suggestions about these – as well as any other choices. These two have the down/synthetic tradeoffs; I use a TarpTent Rainbow I as my shelter.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

The Rainbow-1 should keep you dry in heavy rainstorms (if seem sealed correctly). Thus I would pick the bag that is lighter, packs smaller, and as a bonus– keeps you warmer. The only hurt is the initial investment cost: The No Sniveller.

Also JRB usually have their quilts in stock and you get it in 2 days.
    MLD equivalent is the ‘ClimaShield XP 7.5oz’ which is custom order which means— not in stock and usually a long wait (maybe 10 weeks).

Both have impeccable customer service as I have had fast communication w/ both.

I just went to the JRB site. Good thing I bought my Stealth last June! They just raised their prices 5% and I think they added shipping costs (not sure though).

I’ve had about 30 nights w/ the Stealth (w/ poncho slit) and it has performed very well.

-Barry

Mike Feldman
    Spectator

@harpin-2

Locale: SE USA

Am using individually, or together a 5 ounce XP 3/4 quilt made by Tim Marshall; and a JRB Shenandoah down 40 or so degree quilt. With synthetic insulation jacket, headwear, john and socks in my TT Rainbow w/the 3/4 XP 5 ounce quilt, w/warm ground padding, good I think to maybee 30 degrees, maybee 25; w/the Shenandoah added maybee 20, or little less comfortably for warm sleeper. If your looking for a 15 degree quilt would think a full length 7.5 ounce XP quilt might do it alone; or the winter JRB quilt, cant think of its name.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

We have a few of the Reg size 7.5oz XP quilts with the eVENT foot&head strips in stock.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

The MLD seems like an awesome match w/ a tarp or mid in the fringe seasons, but I don't know how much condensation and wind exposure you get in your Rainbow. If your trips are longer than weekenders, then amount of accumulated condensation over multiple nights is the main factor. The desired level of air permeability would be second – synthetics are more wind resistant than down. If neither is jumping out at you for obvious climate-related reasons, then the big issue for me would be packed volume. I don't like to over-compress either, but esp. not synthetics. ie.- I don't stuff my 10oz Cocoon hoody smaller than 250ci for longevity of loft. Figuring 10-12 oz of synthetic gear per 250ci, I'd make sure I had 550-650ci volume for a 26oz quilt.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Mike,

Yes, JRB winter quilts do well into the 10-15 * range… winter models are the Old Rag Mtn, Winter Nest, and the Rocky Mtn Sniveller.

The Mt Washington is a zero * quilt.

Pan

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Barry, et al,

The JRB Summer Special of no shipping on purcases over $150 did end on labor day, after being available for 75 days….glad that you and many others benefited from it.

As to prices….Almost all of our material suppliers have been raising prices over the last 60-120 days…FWIW, high quality down is up 18 percent to manufacturers….JRB after holding the line on prices for the last 20 months, of necessity did have the minimal price increase you note.

ALCON, At the OR show last month, we noted high quality gear and tech clothing is following the general economic situation…. among other reasons, there is a lot of transportation cost as top material are assembled from far and wide…. It just might result in an edge for USA manufacturers with shorter logistics tails…expect similar industry wide price increases as 2007/8 stocks are exhausted and replaced by 2009 models.

Pan

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

I went for a large XP quilt with the e-vent top and bottom strips for the condensation in my Rainbow. The more bulletproof nature of the synthetic insulation over down won me over.

I've been in cold, wet situations where my down bag needed way too much care – perhaps I'm paranoid – but one experience might have been much happier had I known that I could have slid into my bag in damp long underwear without collapsing the insulation. And this was in Big Bend NP of all places – a wet, cold miserable day. It was great! except for the end of the day when I was freezing and trying to get dry enough to get into the down bag. The Ray-Way website finished the job on convincing me.

I did buy a BMW UL 60 balaclava to go with the quilt.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Can anyone quantify how much difference the packed size (length & diameter) between the two is ? A pic of them stuffed to similar amounts of pressure would be ideal.

Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools