Topic

Pack recommendation for 10 day hikes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack recommendation for 10 day hikes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

I need a recommendation for a pack capable of carrying 10 days of food. I usually tarp it with a now defunct Kiskil Mithril, but am carrying a 3lb tent because of the high winds I expect. Given the food, this pack is not big enough. I reckon my total maximum pack weight will be, gulp, 35 pounds if I am lucky, maybe 40. So I need a pack that handles well in this range, rather than being able to just manage this weight. It must also be able to withstand rock scrapes and bush-bashing (as we call it down under, bush-wacking is the term in the US I believe?).

I’ve read the reviews but am looking for personal experiences.

The Six Moon Designs Starlite sounds OK but I’m not sure.

I don’t quite ultralight it, my base load with the Mithril (minus food, water and fuel) and a tarp is around 9 pounds. See my site for details.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

The gossamer gear mariposa is right at your 40# load limit.I have not used one but hike with a mate who does, his only complaint came when a porcupine gnawed a strap off. The other pack I haved used is a wild things andinista, 1800-5000cu.in., as an approach and climbing pack…but at 3# it’s probably a little heavy.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I too recomend the mariposia for these loads. my dad used one at philmont with a base load of about 20lbs, and after resuplies was up to 40.he said it worked great with these loads

he uses it now with base loads under 10lbs. he let me borrow it once and because of the frame, it was a very comforatable.(but I had a 4lb base :-)>)

so this pack is very versatile and can be used with 40 pound loads comfortably

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

I’m not familiar with your Mithril pack. However, if you’re used to having load lifter tabs on the shoulder straps, you may want to also look at the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. I really loved the fit and comfort of that pack, and it handled well with loads in the 35 – 40 pound range (40 is pushing it, though.)

When I switched from my Vapor Trail to a frameless pack, I tried both the Granite Gear Virga and the Gossamer Gear Mariposa. (The Virga isn’t a possibility for you – it won’t handle a load over 25 pounds.) I ended up choosing the Virga because it had load lifters. The Mariposa’s lack of such tabs left me feeling that the pack was always too far from my back and pulling away from my shoulders, and I kept tightening the shoulder straps – which moved the load to my shoulders and resulted in a much less comfortable ride than my old Vapor Trail. Talking to others who are very happy with their Mariposas, I don’t think the pack was really pulling away. I think it was merely that I was used to the tight conformity allowed by the lifter tabs.

Other than that, I was very pleased with the Mariposa. It’s a well-built, functional pack; I could just never get used to it not “snuggling” up to me, if that makes any sense.

You might also look at Ron Moak’s Six Moon Design packs. I ordered one, and really was impressed with it. Never got to try it, though; he made only one size at that time, and it was too small, so I had to send it back.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (3#), 3800ci, framesheet, fully adjustable torso length. Replaceable hipbelts and shoulder straps to fit *your* body, not the “M/L” everyone else expects you to be.

I use this pack to carry gear for me and my 2 kids. It handles heavier loads well and has ways to lash a few things on the outside if needed.

Also check out the *new* ULA (www.ula-equipment.com) packs. The largest one might fit your needs.

The old ULA packs could be ordered with a “bullet proof” option in which all Dyneema Grid was used rather than a mix of Dyneema and 210d. I’m sure Brian would work with you if you sent an email, or gave him a call.

Edit: Actually, the Catalyst (the largest model), is all Dyneema execpt for the mesh pockets.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Not exactly sure of your volume needs, but I think you’re on the right track with the Starlite at 1.5lbs. A couple of other packs come to mind for high-end performance and durability.

ULA has a reputation for durability. I don’t think there’s a lot of public field data on them, but his latest line looks great. The old P2 is a 2.5lb classic, with lots of good reviews. Same Dyneema/ nylon as the Starlite, and the mesh he uses is pretty tough. And it’s got those sweet hipbelt pockets…

The GoLite Infinity is more vulnerable to damage, and it’s a bit smaller, but its fabric are still pretty tough. It has a good framesheet, great ‘comfort’ materials on the back, and good support in the 40lb and below range. I think it also has a better compression system than the Starlite and P2. About 2.5lbs, you can take it down to ~2lbs if you lose the framesheet and lid for shorter trips and smaller loads.
    -Mark

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Osprey Aether 60 is worth a look. It’s been my longhaul pack the last several seasons, in part because it’s able to manage loads approaching 40 pounds, it can accommodate a bear canister, and its compression scheme is among the best available.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools