Topic

Help abouth Golite Ultra 20!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help abouth Golite Ultra 20!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Eduardo Lartigau

@eduardo

Hi, I never sleep in a kilt, I'm afraid abouth cold spots, because I sleep in my side and in fetal position, and toss and turn a lot.Now I would like to bought a G Ultra. Any advice help me. Sory my pour English. Tanks.Eduardo.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Perhaps you mean quilt.

Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

I've never used a quilt myself but if you're looking to get one I don't see that as a bad choice. The new GoLite stuff has more breathable fabric at the foot and head end to help prevent condensation; that's the darker fabric you see. It's lighter than the nunataks which seem popular and it's cheaper. Maybe someone can give you some first hand experience but I seem to remember the new golite bags getting good reviews.

Here is a thread about it on BPL:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11002

And here are the reader reviews about it on BPL:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=11269

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

The subject of side-sleeping / active sleeping in a quilt has been discussed a lot here. I'm an active sleeper and I love my Nunatak Arc Alpinist, which is very similar to the Ultra. The threads below should answer your questions. Do a quick search yourself to find more.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11002&disable_pagination=1

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=10006&disable_pagination=1

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/11291/index.html?skip_to_post=82510#82510

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=9006&disable_pagination=1

EDIT: Oops, my first link was also suggested by the previous poster.

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

I have a 20 that I've been able to get a few nights under now. I love it, but like the BPL review, I think that the 20 degree rating is a a bit optimistic. We all know that there's all sorts of factors that go into measuring a bag's warmth, but for me, the 20 gets cool around the mid 30s inside a tent (either The One or a Tarptent Rainbow) wearing a light weight merino top and bottoms. The pertex at the head and foot of the quilt is a nice feature, but I also love the width of the quilt. If you're new to a quilt, I think that the 20 would make a fine entry point as it would be a little more forgiving than a quilt cut very narrow to save weight. I would also recommend checking out the quilts from Jacks R' Better. They make great stuff! If you're really not sure if the quilt thing is for you, you could always order a quilt kit from Ray and Jenny Jardine. That was my first introduction to them several years ago. They're cheap, easy to put together and give you the option to customize them to your size. The only downside is that they're bulky and a bit heavier that what you'll see from Golite, Jacks R Better, Nunatak, BPL, etc.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have used my Ultra 20 quilt on a few trips so far. I sleep very similar to you — either curled up on my side or on my back.

So far drafts have not been an issue for me. I have slept with it wide open on a warmer trip and cinched down on a trip near freezing.

The straps seem kind of long and I become a little tangled in them. I will probably shorten them by about a foot or so.

No drafts to speak of, but you do learn how to twist and turn to minimize exposure.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Yeah, personally for an extra $45 I'd recommend the Jacks R Better No Sniveller. Just food for thought.

As an active sleeper, I'd just suggest that you:
    1. don't try to take a quilt down to it's lower temp range on your first outing, until you get the hang of it.
    2. think carefully about your clothing choices to use with the quilt.

Eduardo Lartigau

@eduardo

Thank you guys for your support, you were very kind and helpfull, again thanks very much.Eduardo.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hi Eduardo! I used my BPL Pro 60 quilt for the first time this August and had the same concerns. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that the GG nightlight sleeping pad, which I placed INSIDE the quilt, kept everything stable whilst I tossed and turned and sealed out the cold (~43F) quite well. It worked out much better than expected. So I'd say go for it!

Eduardo Lartigau

@eduardo

Tanks Monty, if possible tell me abouth your sleep sistem!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Cold spots have been a problem for every quilt that I've ever used when it's cold out. That's why i've given up on quilts unless it is warm out.

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

After uming and ahhing I use quilts exclusively. I am a side sleeper and I had to learn how to use them. It took time. This is similar to a lot of ultralight gear, the lighter you get the more likely you will have to change the way you do things. Everyone has a breakpoint. For instance, I cannot use the Nunatak Arc Ghost, it is way too narrow but the Alpiniist is just OK. I had to spend the $$$ to find my limit (but since there is a recession coming so we need to help the economy).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools