Topic

Clothing choices…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Clothing choices…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Zak Randell

@zakrandell

Need some advice from you friendly guys. Trying to figure out a versatile and lightweight clothing system. I hope to use this basic system for 3 season and limited winter backpacking. Heres what I have so far. I’ll also list the listed weights for each. My pants and stuff are basic REI zipoffs with Hot Chilly long johns. These have worked for me for a while. If it gets really cold I have a thicker EMS Holofiber pant I can add. I’m more worried about the top.

Marmot Precip 12 oz
    Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Fleece 18 oz
    Pantagonia Lightweight Capilene Base Layer 6 oz

Should I add anything? The Monkey Man is a little bulky but I like it so far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Zak

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I am a super ultralighter so if I see anything that cant break the 5 pound barrier I feel I must say something.

your list seems good and very versatile but not the lightest options.

for pants your REI zip offs are fine, but for additional warmth I recomend a tight like under armour or similar(but for 3 season use you may not need)

for your torso I recomend a Bozeman mountain works Cocoon or mont bell thermawrap jacket. and I use a poncho tarp as rain wear and add a golite wisp windshirt

SuperUltraLight: Breaking the Five-Pound Barrier

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Hey Zak theres alot of good information on the web about going lightweight. There is a nice article about lightweight clothing systems here on BPL but it is restricted to memebers. I recommend subscribing if you are serious about it. Its worth it.
    That being said here is a link to a great page done by another member here on BPL that can help. Mark Verber’s website

Getting a nice clothing system can be somewhat expensive, but I recommend you to not be cheap about it. It is better to do it right the first time and buy quality gear. Otherwise you’ll end up wasting time and money on stuff you’ll replace anyways. Its a painful lesson I have learned the hard way.

Hope this helps,

-Roy-

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

sorry I dident notice you werent a member Zak you wont be able to veiw my link

I recomend paying the $25 for a membership. I have found that I have paid it back and have saved even more money in savings from the gear shop

Courtney Waal

@d0rqums

>>Getting a nice clothing system can be somewhat expensive, but I recommend you to not be cheap about it. It is better to do it right the first time and buy quality gear. Otherwise you’ll end up wasting time and money on stuff you’ll replace anyways. Its a painful lesson I have learned the hard way.

There’s a danger to getting the nice stuff: you’ll need two copies for trail and town use! I’ve fallen in love with so much of my technical clothing that I’ve been keeping some of it pristine for everyday wear, such as my new Smartwool shirt. I’ll just have to get another one to keep pretty for traveling. Same goes for nice socks and warm layers.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

>>”There’s a danger to getting the nice stuff: you’ll need two copies for trail and town use!”

agreed. its happened on this end too. have around town/work/sunday-go-to-meeting versions of what i wear on the trail. however, sure makes deciding what to wear easier.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

this is not always a problem.
    I really like my trail running shoes because they are very comforatable and fit my feet very well. I wear them while backpacking and everywhere else. this breaks them in more and makes them less likely to give me blisters.

I have never gotten a blister using these shoes, and never even a hot spot when matched with wrightsock double layer coolmesh socks

Zak Randell

@zakrandell

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I checked out that article that you posted. It looks like I should add a Windshirt or something like that. I know the fleece is probably a little bit heavier than optimal but it seems to do a pretty good job. Any recomendations on flexible stores that wouldn’t mind a return after mild use? I just don’t feel like spending another $200 on another layer and finding out I like my fleece more.

Thanks

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

One suggestion if you are interested in cutting weight and bulk, and don’t mind spending money.

Replace your fleece with a MontBell Thermawrap jacket — it’s about half the weight of your fleece and much more packable (compact). I’m not familiar with the temp performance of your fleece, but the Thermawrap is good down to 35-40F by itself, and to 30F-35F when worn under a wp/b shell.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

you may also want to consider a possum down sweater from the backpacking light gear shop

Possum down sweater

also, if you dont want to use a poncho tarp, try the drop stoppers jacket instead of your marmot precip (only $15 & 5oz )

Drop stoppers

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

there is a good sale at AR gear
    here is a link to the insulated outerwear

Insulating Jackets

Anonymous

When will we see the possum down balaclava?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools