Topic

How to add a tie-out

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How to add a tie-out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eric Carlsen

@cooleric1234

I recently bought a single wall tent (Outdoor Research Night Haven). It's not the best, but it was cheap. I notice that for two people to really fit it needs a tie-out about in the middle of each side wall. For some reason I'm just struggling to find a good reference or how-to on Google. I found a few things, but the information was sparse.

It looks like a grossgrain loop will work. Sew both ends parallel and next to each other running up and down. Is that correct? I also saw a reference that indicated I need to sew something on the back side, more nylon or another piece of grossgrain or something. Any advice? Also, what stitch should I use, a bartack or a box stitch? I'm new to this, so a little more detail would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I suspect that a simple grossgrain loop sewn onto the hem and stitched with 2 or 3 lines parallel to the hem outside the hem stitching will be as strong as you need. Extra reinforcement is not likely to add strength and, in fact, could weaken it.

Eric Carlsen

@cooleric1234

Thanks for the input. I should clarify, I want this half-way up the side wall of the tent, not at the hem. I know about the rock or ball wrapped up in the material but I'm looking for something more permanent. Would that change your response?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

This photo is copyright by Oware, and Dave Olsen (of Oware) has already protested about another person using this photo without permission. Perhaps you should ask his permission first?

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor

Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

I can't remember what they are called or where you find them, but there is a product that works just like the pebble method. It's two pieces of plastic that lock together with the fabric between them, providing a stable tie out point anywhere you want. I have four of them on my tarp to lift up the roof and they work really well.

Someone who knows what I'm talking about can point you at where to buy them. But it sounds like what you're looking for.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

gripclips

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Eric,
    Sorry, I misunderstood. I add side pullouts by first stitching a grossgrain loop to a 6 or 7 inch diameter disk of fabric that is compatible with the tarp – silnylon to sylnylon and polyurethane to PU. I seal the seam from the back and slap it on the target area. With silnylon, I like to use a little of the silicone sealant that I use for seam sealer to hold the disk in place instead of pins — just little smears. It will cure enough to be handled in 30 minutes. Then I sew the disk to the target area by stitching around the edge only. I tend to use one line of zigzag stitches, but straight stitches will work just fine. Then I seal the seam and edges of the disk.

The advantages of this method are:
    1. The stitching on the grossgrain does not go through the tarp. Those stitches get a lot of pull in a concentrated area and holes can open up – even with 2 layers of fabric.
    2. The circular patch or disk distributes the pull uniformly. There are no corners to concentrate stress.

Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

"Grip Clips!" Precisely. Thanks Todd.

They'll be better than sewing in a pullout, imo.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Vick,

That's a great method of adding tie-outs! Also, the clearest explaination I've seen! Thanks!

liang kong
    BPL Member

@mcluxun

Locale: Tulsa,OK

A friend of my use this axle to add a tie-out.
    tie out1tie out2

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Mcluxun, Is the "sewing machine axle" also known as a thread "bobbin"?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools