Topic

Sublite and Condensation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sublite and Condensation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

As some of you might recall I have posted several threads over the last few months regarding my use of Tyvek Tarptent prototypes that began last November. I have yet to experience condensation. Now that the commercial version is shipping I would like to know what other’s experience has been with the Sublite and condensation?? I have not used the tent in conditions combining high humidity with warm temps. This past August in the Sierras I was confronted with some cool wet weather but remained dry inside. Please sound off with your experience if you have used the Sublite. Thanks, John

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

John,

I've had no condensation in the Sublite I've been using this summer.

I have had a little leakage in the fabric in the worst rains, but this is to be expected with Tyvek, because of the imperfections in manufacturing of Tyvek.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Zero Condensation … No Leaks !

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

John Mackey

@johnmackey

Minor condensation on still, humid nights on the PCT in both Oregon and Washington this summer. Easily handled by pack towel. I suspect condensation would have been much heavier with either sil-nylon or spinnaker tents on these nights, but sublite is not completely immune from condensation.

Catberine Taylor

@cattail

I haven't tried the Sublite, but I've had zero condensation in the Tarptent Squall 2 (myself and my 80-lb. dog, or even myself plus grandson plus dog). On the other hand, my dog and I overwhelmed the ventilation system in the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo on rainy nights, with really bad condensation problems. Even alone in the Lunar Solo, I had a lot of condensation on Washington's Olympic Coast, enough to wet out my down sleeping bag, while my son and my two grandkids in their Tarptent Rainshadow didn't have a drop of condensation, even on a drizzly night. I must admit that because of a restricted site, my LS was pitched tighter to the ground than it should have been. However, I strongly suspect that the peak vent in the Lunar Solo is not big enough. Of course the LS is designed as a solo tent for a single human, not as a tent for human plus good-sized dog! But, judging from this experience, I believe that Tarptents have a better ventilation system.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

If I understand correctly, what John is trying to establish is if Tyvek is more breathable than silnylon or spinnaker rather than if it eliminates condensation. Apart from Unobtanium, there is no other tent material (fabric,laminate,whatever) that can eliminate condensation in all situations.
    Soon , apparently, Henry will start to ship out the silnylon version. So what we need are a bunch of identical twins that are willing to buy one of each, camp side by side using the same sleeping bag/mat/clothing and then report the results.
    Franco

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It is well known that tyvek is more breathable than either silnylon or spinnacker fabric.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to all for your replies. It seems that the Tyvek reduces condensation significantly. I haven’t had conditions which provide a severe test such as overnight in an open meadow with no tree cover combined with severe dew conditions. I have used it, on the other hand, during some heavy storms but of limited duration. The latest was in August when climbing in the tent during a heavy hail and rain storm at upper Crabtree Lake. I was already wet when I put up the tent and remained inside for a little under two hours with no condensation and I have not experienced any leaks such as mentioned by Ryan.

The reason I bring this up is that I am planning a longer distance trip than I usually take and I want a small tarp similar to the Wild Oasis. Silnylon tents, in my experience, basically suck with regards to condensation. The Hex handles condensation effectively most likely due to its size. Based on my experience with the Sublite, I would like to have a Tyvek tarp made up but I wanted some more feedback before doing this.

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

> Apart from Unobtanium, there is no other tent material (fabric,laminate,whatever) that can eliminate condensation in all situations. <

Franco, I've heard that Unobtainium is readily available in Utopia.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools